1988 bayliner gauge problems! Help please!

I picked this boat up last year and totally redid it the boat runs perfect but nothing on my gauge cluster works the horn gas gauge speedometer lights...nothing besides the tilt ignition and bilge work I checked all the fuses and the wires look fine what could it be someone please give me details I just want to be able to use my boat fully!! Thanks a lot!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 bayliner gauge problems! Help please!

I would look next for a loose ground. Get a multimeter or test light and see which wires have voltage comming from them. The color code on the wires can be found in most manuals. also check the connector on top of the engine for corrosion.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

yah, check to make sure your purple wires arn't touching black. i am guessing they are ment to be lighted? do the lights work.

NYBo

Admiral

When you "totally redid" the boat, did that include any of the wiring>

The gauges and their backlights were originally wired to the ignition switch (and therefore the motor's electrical system), while the horn is connected to what is essentially a different electrical system that runs from the battery to the fuse block under the helm.

TimberwolfFXDL

Seaman Apprentice

Another option:

I pulled a rat's nest of wires out of my Cobra... the reason there were all these extra wires? Previous owners were trying to get power to everything. The fuses were all good.

The culprit? The fuse block was corroded. While there was power going in, and good fuses, there was no power coming out. Put a VOM on both sides of each of your fuses, but touch the blades themselves or the wire leads. don't touch the fuse body, as even if it has power, your block may not be sending it out.

I replaced my whole fuse block with a 6 circuit blade type from Advance Auto for $10. Took less than 15 minutes. got my gauges, anchor and bow lights, radio, etc to come back.

Hope that helps!