1988 88 HP Evinrude cutting out

scottr_6

Cadet
Originally posted by scottr_6:<br />I have a 1988 Evinrude 88 HP outboard with a very strange problem. When it first starts up and for about the first 10 minutes of running it periodically breaks up. When this happens it seems like all four cylinders stop firing and the entire motor jerks. I have tried to remove the plug wires to isolate the bad one and it seems like it's all 4 at once. I am leaning towards a new CDI but I thought I would run it by the experts first. BTW Once the engine warms up the problem goes away <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Thanks for the quick replies but I think I need to add some detail. When I first start the engine it runs fine and after a little while it starts to break up. When it breaks up the motor acts like you shut it off and turned it off very quickly. It runs for 1 second then stops for 1 second over and over to the point where the engine jerks very violently. Once I shut it down and let it sit for a minute it starts right and runs great. In the mean time I will try the suggestions you guys posted. Thaks again.<br /><br />Scott <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walker

Captain
Re: 1988 88 HP Evinrude cutting out

I'm thinking your motor is sneezing from a lean fuel condition. Have the carbs been cleaned lately.

scottr_6

Cadet
Re: 1988 88 HP Evinrude cutting out

I'll give them a cleaning and post my results. Thanks for the suggestion.<br />Scott