1988 5.7 Engine-Water Shutter Melted. Update on Terrible First Day

Matt'sRegal

Cadet
I picked up my boat from the certified Mercruiser Mechanics today with a little information, some assurance that I have something to work with and a list of recommendations. I will only include the first with this post.

First after my overheat, a compression test yielded readings 160, 165, 160, 160, and 160, 160, 165, 160. This sounds good compared to some of the numbers that I have seen online, are these readings probable for a 5.7 engine with 300 hours on it?

The impeller and melted rubber tube were replaced and when questioned about the state of the outdrive stated there were no shavings in the used oil.

Here is the kicker. I was told that after start-up pieces of the water shutters came out of the exhaust and there needs to be additional shop labor of 3 hours at 85.oo to replace the water shutter and roughly 100 for the part to replace it.

Am I getting hosed? After reading your posts I would have thought the shop would have checked this earlier than after start-up, but I know nothing about boat mechanics.

I have looked at tons of old posts about having to pull engines to get to the shutters and looked at the manuals which does not make it look like the engine needs to be removed. So the heart of the question is it possible for a person without a hoist and basic mechanical tools to replace the Shutters on this engine setup? The Drive # is OC382706 will the drive have to be removed?

Thanks, Matt

45Auto

Commander
Re: 1988 5.7 Engine-Water Shutter Melted. Update on Terrible First Day

Those compression numbers would be good for a brand new engine.

The water shutters on your engine should be at the top of the y-pipe, just below the elbows as shown by #6 on this diagram. You can get to them by removing the rubber couplings and exhaust elbows. They should run a little under $100 each, and probably take an hour or so each to change them. About all it takes to change them is a screwdriver. Just remove the hose clamps (#s 2 and 4 in the diagram) and pull the elbow off. No need to remove the engine or drive, although if I were you I would pull your outdrive and make sure no pieces of the shutters were stuck in front of the shift shaft on the outdrive. They usually hang up there because it goes right through the middle of the exhaust port.

Don't be surprised if the hole in the aluminum y-pipe is all wallowed out by the old shutter shaft. I just had to replace the y-pipe on my 1987 5.7L because it was corroded at the bottom. The water shutters were both missing, and the shaft holes were mangled.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...6.png&inbr=1014&bnbr=370&bdesc=EXHAUST+SYSTEM

Matt'sRegal

Cadet

Can someone give the tried and true method for removing the drive for my boat? Is it a one person job, require special tools or adjustments to reinstall?

Thanks,

Matt

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Youtube has a bunch of vids of people removing outdrives...