1988 3. 0 liter OMC shift issue

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering how to adjust the idle on my 3.0 liter omc. I have had problems getting it out of gear and was told that this may be part of the problem. My tech has adjusted it twice (which lowered the rpm's) and each time it just starts idleing higher and higher. I know it may be the interruptor switch as well. Just trying to save time and money if I can do it myself. The cables are new I just think that it does not stay in place.

Also, can I just install a kill-switch of sorts on the dash so that I can do it manually? It shifts fine when not running and I have had to turn the key off to get it out of gear in the past. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 3. 0 liter OMC shift issue

I think maybe your throttle cable is sticking a bit and then when you release it it doesn't allow the carb to fully drop to idle. Try straightening the path from where it comes in on the top of the engine and over to the carb.

However it more likely is the interrupt switch not kicking in enough. You have checked it per the specs in the manual you downloaded from here, right? :) It should interrupt with about 1/8 inch of movement at the roller. To adjust you really just need to bend the arm a little.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 3. 0 liter OMC shift issue

Thanks. The cable actually comes up from under the carb but I will make sure that there are no obstructions and that it is as straight as possible. As for the interrupt switch, I will make sure that the proper amount of movement is in there.