1988 2BL Mercruise Choke Test / Adjustment

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Begining of this boating season I replaced the plugs, and wires on this engine due to it missing and sputtering a bit from time to time. It didn't matter if the engine was cold or warm you just bumped the key and it would fire right up and you could take off no problems. It seemed as it was running rich and the fire sepressor was off I noticed the choke was closed still and when you would hold it open the engine would run well. So I back of the electric choke a bit to correct the problem. Apparently that wasn't the problem as much as the wires on the plugs were. One evening I had the engine cover off and notice the plug wires were jumping fire to the block so I knew they were bad. I month 1/2 later I'm ready to take it out. I'm now having to pump the throttle once or twice to get the engine to turn over. It will run for a second or too before it wants to stall or actully stalls unless I idle it up. After the engine warms a bit it would still do it but not as bad. Some times while trying to dock the boat at a pier using forward and reversing to menuever the boat to the dock it would want to stall as well. This morning I'm preparing to take it to the lake this afternoon. I put the muffs on the engine and went to start it. It did exactly as I describe above. I'm guess I got the choke out of adjustment. Whats the proper way to test the circuit and the adjustment of this choke? Shop manual 7 dosen't actully seem to explain this in very much detail. It's approx. 99 degrees outside so i'm not sure if the engine is even to warm to do this?

Thanks in advance.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 2BL Mercruise Choke Test / Adjustment

Well I don't believe the choke is the problem. I took it out this afternoon/night time and the engine constantly would hardly staying running once i put it into gear. If I would accelerate quickly after forward gear causing the engine to rev some it would be okay. But If I would pull back on the throttle and still be in gear it would do the same thing. So I played with it some and discovered if I would put the engine in N and speed up the engine then pull it back to N position again it would idle okay on maybe the 2nd try. If you accelerate the engine on up to plane or WOT it runs great its just the low end. Dosent matter if its F or R. I have checked the Water Seperator Filter and is perfectly clean. Tonight I put 10 Gallons of fresh gas along with STP Gas treatment just as a attempt. Also on another not during my acceleration from idle and in F gear or R gear wear it would attempt to stall I can accelerate it jsut a little more and you can tell the engine isnt exactly happy. Add just a tad more and its fine. Slow back from either plane or WOT it would start trying to stall again even from idle in F gear or even in N. I guess it could be one of the two fuel filters or maybe the carb? But it dosent seem to have happened until I messed with choke. The choke purple wire doese have 12 volts when the key is on but the choke dosent seem to open. Is there a way to test the choke assembly before I spend the money to replace it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 2BL Mercruise Choke Test / Adjustment

or maybe the carb?

Ayuh,....

Itsounds like the Carb needs a Full Rebuild,+ it probably needs the Choke adjusted, or it's heating coil replaced...