1988 260 timing and idle variance

redsput

Cadet
Just replaced several parts including shutters, cap, rotor, plugs, ignition pickup module in the distributor, coil wire etc.

The boat runs great, smooth, starts easy perfect temps, oil pressure etc. I noticed I am still about 2-3 mph slower than I was a year or so ago. I thought the tune might bring that back - but didnt. * It clearly needed the pickup, the old one was corroded and partially gone - and now my tach is nice and smooth, bounced all over prior.

Thought I would check the timing, and get back to basics - set everything exactly like the book says. When I lowered the idle down to the 700-800 range (it was at almost 1100), I noticed the engine would run stable for a bit, then surge up a couple hundred rpm, then eventually back down after a few seconds. I threw a timing light on it. At ~700 ish, it's right at 8 degrees, when it surges up, looks like it going toward about 14 (of course this is est since the metal thingy stops at 12.) Does the advance kick in that quickly with the thunderbolt, or do I have some other problem?)

Not sure what to think. Coil, ign module, vacuum leak ... other?

Any diagnosis help would be appreciated.

Also - Not familiar with these thunderbolt ignitions - someone suggested to me that I dump it and get a dui, but I've read an awful lot of comments about how the stock t-bolt 4 is a great ign. opinions? (Note engine is all stock except for a edelbrock performer intake.)

redsput

Cadet
Re: 1988 260 timing and idle variance

Forgot to mention, I also replaced the voltage regulator. (It was working fine, but the coating on the wires was all cracked and exposing bare wire, figured better safe...) Checked all other wires, disconnected, cleaned and reconnected most by the engine.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hold your hand to restrict air flow into motor and if motor revs up you have a vacuum leak.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"Forgot to mention, I also replaced the voltage regulator. (It was working fine, but the coating on the wires was all cracked and exposing bare wire, figured better safe...)"

The voltage regulator is INSIDE the alt .Is that what you changed?

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something else I thought of. If distributor has a vacuum hose.going to it that is to advance timing. Make sure you see toning advance with a timing light as throttle is opened. Maybe weights in dist. are rusted and not moving.

NHGuy

Captain

TBIV has no vacuum to it and no weights. The only moving part is the shaft, it is truly all electronic. All the advance is done by the controller.

NHGuy

Captain

Hunting idle is probably in fuel system. I'd look for a leak the way the guy said above. By blocking the carb throat. You can also spray carb cleaner in little bursts at suspected leak points. Check around pivots and gaskets on carb, base of carb, and edges of intake manifold.
It is normal for the timing to advance with RPMs. Don't sweat that point.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

..... If distributor has a vacuum hose.going to it .....Maybe weights in dist. are rusted and not moving.

1. Marine engines don't have any vacuum advance.
2. Already mentioned that the engine had Thunderbolt IV ignition system. All timing advance done electronically, no weights in the distributor... (Hasn't been weights in Mercruiser distributors since about 1982)

As already mentioned, have a look at the carb...

Chris.....

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

About incorrect info. for weights in dist. I am not a boat mechanic, just a boater with advice. Good luck.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shame you did not reply first.

Dogdave

Seaman

I had a wandering idle(vacuum) leak at the throttle plates of the Q jet carb. Had the carb rebushed and a constant 650 idle. The boat is a 79 searay sundancer with a 5.7