1988 200XP engine alarm

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice
My alarm comes on when I am at, or near WOT. If I back off a little it shuts off. I have heard it might be low fuel pressure(clogged filter) but not sure. I pulled the inline filter and it does have some junk in it. I have an hour drive to the lake, just to check if that is what it is once I get a new filter. A new filter is on order, but just wanted other imput before making the drive.

Oil reservoir is full of oil also.

ob

Admiral
Re: 1988 200XP engine alarm

What alarm are you getting?Constant,rapid short tones,one tone every 30-40 seconds?They're all different,depending on the source of the alarm.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

It is a constant alarm at WOT, or near it. Once I back off a little, it quits.

ob

Admiral

Not knowing when your engines waterpump and T/stats were last replaced,my recommendation is to initially replace the waterpump and T/stats first and see if it remedies your alarm issue.Otherwise that vintage year vro and its alarm module could be problematic and produce ghost signals,particularly considering its age.Head temps would not tend to lower enough immediately to drop below the alarm point of the temp sensors when just throttling back to a slightly lower rpm.Several seconds perhaps but not immediately.