1988 - 175 Mercury - Tune Up Question

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

What parts can I replace to do a tune-up on my Mercury. I replace the plugs every year but last year it was running a little rough at idle and headway/slow speed, stalling, etc.

I assume it is spark related, because when I smash the gas on this thing she goes flat out and runs great.

Should I replace (power pack?), or something like that. Willing to put some money in this engine because it is great.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 - 175 Mercury - Tune Up Question

probably lose speed settings in the carbs. ever cleaned and rebuilt them? if spark was failing you would not get the top performance.

j_martin

Admiral

Hello,

What parts can I replace to do a tune-up on my Mercury. I replace the plugs every year but last year it was running a little rough at idle and headway/slow speed, stalling, etc.

I assume it is spark related, because when I smash the gas on this thing she goes flat out and runs great.

Should I replace (power pack?), or something like that. Willing to put some money in this engine because it is great.

Thanks

Your assumption if faulty for sure. If it was spark related, it likely would perform poorly when you mash the throttle.

Over time, varnish builds up in the carbs, needles wear, floats sink, etc. That's likely where your problem is. HOWEVER, if you want a good running engine you can trust:

1. Run a compression check on it. If it's a little low, or a little uneven, look up the decarbon procedure here, do it, and re test. If compression is poor, you have major mechanical trouble and no amount of "tune up" will fix it. Either fix it, or run it till it blows and go get another one.

2. Look for the obvious. Is the fuel enricher leaking forward?. If you pump up the primer bulb tight, then give it a firm (not white knuckle) squeeze, does fuel come out of one of the carbs? Is it running cold because there's some frog legs caught in the thermostats? If it still has the "idle stabilizer" module on it, disconnect it and try it without. It's been known to cause this sort of trouble, and the test (disconnect) is free.

3. If compression checks out good, put in a fuel pump kit. It's 20 bucks or so, and should be an annual maintenance item anyway. A leaking diaphragm would cause the symptoms you describe. Don't replace the filter at this time. Do it later if needed after it catches whatever you knocked loose doing the fuel pump.

4. Next step would be to check the link n sync. For this you need the factory manual, a timing light, and a depth gauge (I use a cheep chineese dial indicator), and lots of patience the first time. It's not exactly intuitive at first. Gets easier if you do it a few times. It is, however, well within the shade tree mechanic's realm of doability.

5. Still rough, it's carb overhaul time. Again, go by the book, and look carefully for something that would cause the mixture to be off. Do all 3 at the same time. Carefully clean the gazillion small passages. Use new gaskets, especially the center gasket in the bowl. While the carbs are off, peek into the manifold and look for any obvious reed damage.

6. Still rough, assuming all the above steps have been taken, it's probably reed problems. You have to pull the carbs and reed blocks off, lap the blocks (by hand with a piece of emery paper and a sheet of glass) and install new reeds, might as well be Boyesen reeds, as they aren't any more expensive, and are better.

To have a mechanic do all this would be a couple of grand. It's all within the scope of shade tree mechanics.

hope it helps
John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Before you do 5 or 6 ,clean or replace the recirculating check valves.This will cause engine to load up and affect idle. I have changed about 35 of these this week on Mercs & Johnsons alone. I am find the same problem with each valve..sticking and debris. I dont know if its additives in the fuel the customer runs or off the shelf decarbonizer, as 3 engines had in common:confused:

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class

My engine was acting just as you describe yours. rough idle, stalling, hard to start. but ran good with lot of power on top end.

Turned out the engine had a blown head gasket. Pull all your plugs and look for water or moisture.

I do not know alot about this stuff. just sharing my experience.

Jim

j_martin

Admiral

Dang faztbullet. I missed that one. They are pretty easy to check with a short piece of hose and a hypodermic plunger. They should allow air to go one way and not the other, I forget which. Hose routing and condition to those buggers is critical also. It's different depending on if you have a horizontal or vertical reed front on the engine, and 5 or 6 hose setup.

Any water in the cylinder will steam clean it. If the plug looks like new, and you look in the hole and the piston does also, it's been steam cleaned.

hope it helps
John

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

I know Iv'e said this recently to others but did you ever check the Idle Jet sizes in your carbs? I don't know how long you have this motor, but mabey someone thought they could beef it up by just sticking in '200 hp' sized jets or tinkering. I figured I would share because it is small and easy to overlook and I had the same prob with a 1989 Merc Black Max 150hp XR4 with ugly idling coupled with bad gas milage and whould have to nurse thottle to keep alive on a troll. I decided to clean carbs first and stumbled onto the 'jets'. There diffrent sizes (example .075). Hate to harp on this but it was a gem in the rough for me.

Damian

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again folks, sounds like I need to to some additional investigation.

Just for history, I have had this boat/engine for 5 years, just last year I noticed rough idle/trolling, previous years were fine.

But in general the engine runs great.

Appreciate the detailed information on what to review/clean/replace/rebuild.

Thanks