1988 16.5 ft. nordic crestliner

moonman

Seaman
I bought this Crestliner last fall with a 1988 90hp Johnson. When I run it, the faster I go, there is a lot of water on the port side that shoots straight up and starts filling that back well on the boat. My buddy said maybe it had something to do with the transducer being mounted on that side. I run a kicker on the other side. Anyone ever seen this happen before? I actually made a Lexan shield to try to deflect some of the water from coming back into the boat.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: 1988 16.5 ft. nordic crestliner

First thing I thought of was the transducer. Have your buddy watch as you go across the lake to verify where it's coming from. What's that boat rated for, a 90 sounds like a lot of motor?

moonman

Seaman

It is rated for 90 hp according to Crestliner website. Had a friend that had the same boat and had a 90 Yamaha, but never noticed the water shooting straight up on his. I don't know a whole lot about boats since this is my first one. Didn't know if I should move the transducer around to see if it makes a difference.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just had a Crestliner pop up on my daily e-bay search, same year, Nordic etc as yours, it was a fish-n-ski(windshield across the width of the boat). I'm assuming yours is the same...... It had an 80.

Anyway, I still would have someone look to see where the water is coming from while underway before you make any changes. I had a transducer that was mounted too low and threw water against the engine cover. Also threw a rooster tail......

Also, if you have a standard clockwise rotating prop, it is best to mount the transducer on the starboard side...... Sounds like that's the side your buddy has his mounted...... That's where I have mine.....

moonman

Seaman

Yes, that is what I have ..... a Nordic Crestliner Fish and Ski with a full windshield. My kicker is on the starboard side and the transducer is on the port side. The prop does run clockwise. So I guess, the faster I run, the water from the prop is hitting the transducer. How do you know what height the transducer should be mounted? Thanks.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

A good place to start, IMO, is to have the centerline of the 'ducer even with the bottom of the hull. Install the mounting screws in the center of the slots so you can fine tune it up or down......

fishrdan

Admiral

Does the boat have a Humminbird fish finder? Some of their transducers leave a roostertail. Humminbird had a fix for it, small rubber plug that fills the hole between the ducer and bracket, though a couple wraps of electrical tape around the bracket will stop the roostertail too.

moonman

Seaman

Does the boat have a Humminbird fish finder? Some of their transducers leave a roostertail. Humminbird had a fix for it, small rubber plug that fills the hole between the ducer and bracket, though a couple wraps of electrical tape around the bracket will stop the roostertail too.

Yes, it is a Hummingbird. I will check it out to see if I have that gap you are talking about. Thanks.

moonman

Seaman

The electrical tape trick really helped a lot. Thank you.