1988 125hp force outboard

i am in the process of re-builing a 88 bayliner.<br />the engine has not been started in 3 years but is in good shape, but the motor doesnt want to turn, i have taken off the the steering cable and the cable is fine the steering wheel now turns. is it possible the shaft on the outboard mounting bracket is seized, or is there a bolt somewere that has been tightened, i can see that there is a stop which prevents the engine being turned past that point. the engine is not touching that point on the outboard housing. any input would be apreciated thanks<br />daniel.

jonny v-max

Cadet
Re: 1988 125hp force outboard

good luck daniel with that boat .i'm doing the same thing to the same boat. mines a 18ft. cobra, the engines 125hp, the interior and rotted floor boards are almost done.

thanks, <br />yeah i am in the process (this weekend actually) of removing the flooring, the stringers look good, i think. how did you do your flooring, i am cutting mine back with a reciprocating saw then i am going to grid it back to the boat.<br />jonny, do you know if there is any sort of lock for the outboard to stop it from moving or does it sound like it may have seized to you.<br />thanks<br />daniel.

jonny v-max

Cadet

not sure about the engine, but the floor,in most spots i used a circular saw, set at a minimal depth . 1" should work. watch out for the gas tank or call me. 630-939-6924 john

jonny, thanks<br />i am cutting the fibre glass back, i am being cautious not to cut to far back. its very rotten i am able to pull the wood out from under the fibre glass. i am going to continue and then turn a grinder on it were i need to remove the wood to the boat. <br />daniel

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

and then there were three :)<br /><br />I have an '84 bayliner with a Force 125, will probably start pulling the floor in the next 2 weeks.<br /><br />dan1el, to answer your question, I don't remember anything on that motor that would prevent it from moving. Mine has a couple of grease fittings on the mount itself. If there is something specific you'd like me to look for, just let me know.<br /><br />Jeff

john,<br />thanks for the advice i got my circular saw set to less than an inch the floor is rotten so i able to ull the wood out from underneath.<br />the circular saw was working like a champ but i have cut about a 1" line in the hull of the boat.<br />i'm gutted.i was thinking to use fiberglass cloth and epoxy to go over it and and fill it from the outside with epoxy mixed with glass and use wire wool to smooth it out. is this the best way to do a good fix on this. <br />thanks<br />daniel

jonny v-max

Cadet

i used the cloth and epoxy. its the best. coat all the plywood with epoxy too. it make it water tite. that plywood will probably never rot again. BUT NEVER SAY NEVER !!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> Ya know, if you took and post the floor in "Boat Restoration", you would get the proper info, and stick with the Force issue here, you will be miles ahead of where you are going with this thread at the moment. Just a thought...

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

never replaced wood rot in a boat.but have put them in buses.heres are trick they have stuff like rino lining.but it is a tuff undrecoating.do both sides.and the wood will never rot.fibreglass takes to much time.it works real good im not sure about $.we buy @a place that sales automotive paint.

lovethelakes

Cadet

The way to free up the steering is to use heat. Use a small propane torch and heat up the outside of the swivel shaft. Try to stay away from the bearings. Once it it starts to loosen up move the motor back and forth by hand continuously if necessary apply more heat. It worked for me. It's from storing the motor tilted up for long periods of time.