1988 115 in line 6 rebuild

walterV

Cadet
Hello, I tore down my merc, found one stick ring on three different pistons. I bought new mercury pistons,wrist pins, rings and gaskets. The cylinder walls look great. I have 400 grit cylinder hone to deglaze them. Question is: the needle bearings look and feel smooth, will it hurt anything if i use the same needle bearings with the new pistons and rings? The reason i tore the motor down is three cylinders had 102 lbs compression while couple others had 124.<br /> Any tips i should do while going back with the rebuild?

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 1988 115 in line 6 rebuild

Use a 180 - 220 grit Flex-hone.<br /><br />Only measuring the neeedles will tell.<br /><br />135 or so, is the best those will get.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Extra tips. Use NEW rodbolts. Those kind aren't meant to be re-used. <br /><br />And install the pistons one at a time, then the crank, and then hook them up one at a time. Much easier and safer on the rings than trying to drop in the entire reciprocating assembly.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />-W

walterV

Cadet

Thank you very much for the info. I will buy new needle rod bearings to make sure. <br /> I will buy new rod bolts. do i put a drop of red thread locker on the rod bolts? and what is the correct torque on the rod bolts? <br /> The head of the bolts in there now are 1/4 in. 12 point. will the new ones be the same?<br /> Is there a special way to align the rod bearing carrier halfs together?

walterV

Cadet

Thank you Clams Canino. The reason i'am having to put my motor back together is as follows. A marine mechanic at a local marine shop told me he would save me some money if he could rebuild my merc at my shop, so i agreed. he has been there working several years. He showed up at my home shop, and showed me how to take down my motor. I give him $1500.00 and he brought 6 new quicksilver pistons, rings and gaskets to my shop. after 3 weeks and no sign of the mechanic, I went to the marine shop, to find he quit a couple weeks ago. I was a mechanic on cars for several years, but on marine outboards, I need your help. I will not get into this situation again.

Clams Canino

Commander

Heh...........<br /><br />I get $500 plus parts to do a powerhead.<br /><br />Yes use red and torque to 180..... (rods)<br /><br />-W

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Clams Canino:<br /> Heh...........<br /><br />I get $500 plus parts to do a powerhead.<br /><br /><br />-W
I should pull my boat down to you this winter I could play golf while you fix my sick Merc,I love Kiawah Island the Ocean course .... :)

Clams Canino

Commander

[/quote]I should pull my boat down to you this winter I could play golf while you fix my sick Merc,I love Kiawah Island the Ocean course .... :) [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />Heh... last winter (up in NH)I had a guy with one of them "new" 3 cylider 90's call. Seems he borrowed it from a friend and the muffs fell off during a flush and it fried. He had to have it back to normal before the owner got back from a trip to the islands and found out. I hate freezing but he whined so badly... ANYTHING would be better than that winter job..... hehe<br /><br />-W

emckelvy

Commander

Oh, Yeah, how about having to overhaul a H*ll Drive (er I mean L-drive) in the middle of a cold, wet, windy, PNW winter!!!<br /><br />I'd much rather work on a Merc 90 HP and you can just shoot me if an L-drive ever so much as gets close to my driveway!!!! Or better yet shoot the boat!!<br /><br />"Friends don't let friends drive Bayliners"....lol

walterV

Cadet

180 foot lbs on those small 1/4 inch 12 point rod bolts?

walterV

Cadet

Hi Clams,<br /> Yes to which one? Foot lbs. or inch lbs?<br /> my torque wrench goes from 20 to 100 foot lbs.