1987 Yamaha 225 Excel Oil Pump Problem

wwb1969

Cadet
I have a 1988 24 foor boston whaler with a 1987 225 excel the problem is that after running for approx 15 minutes all warning lights and alarms went off in boat and went into some sort of limp mode.What i found is that the engine oil tank was low and the main oil tank is not pumping oil to the engine tank.My question is i assume that there is a sensor in the engine tank that calls for oil from the main tank.Does this pump work key on engine off or does it have to be running and is there any other components that i should be looking at thank you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Yamaha 225 Excel Oil Pump Problem

assume= arse out of U and me.
quick over view.
that system uses a float switch in the remote tank to alert the operator of low REMOTE tank level. when the visual for REMOTE tank low goes yellow it also inhibits automatic transfer.
the oil control module sees no sense it attempting it as its been told the tank is low.
the 3 position float switch in the engine tank does 3 things, float all the way up, transfer pump off, float midway down, transfer pump on, float all the way down, light visual, set audible and go into RPM reduction.
there is also a mecury switc in the original oil control module that will inhibit transfer if tilted to high.
a clogged remote tank filter will give similar symptoms, its an incredibly simple system that seems to kick arse on supposed techs that proclaim they have opposabile thumbs :).
dont seat it to hard just remember there is a few things going on at once.
but the engine oil pump has no sensors nor alarms.
only level switches in both tanks and the control module.

wwb1969

Cadet

thanks i pulled the level sensor out and apart and the float was stuck at the top cleaned out float and filled with fresh yama lube replaced check valves all working flawless.

shootoutII

Recruit

I have a 1987 2 stroke 200 . Oil pump runs but doe not fill engine reservoir.Sending unit works ok. Don't know where the problem is.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no sensors nor sending units on that system, just 4 switches.
either the pump failed or the filter is clogged at the remote tank or the oil line from the remote to the engine is pinched shut.
electrically it sounds like its doing what its supposed to do.