1987 rinker v170

debo1683

Cadet
Hi folks. My wife and I are looking for a boat to use next summer. Seems like an odd time to be shopping for one in Ohio, but sometimes people git rid of them a little cheaper right now so they don't have to store them over the winter. Found a 1987 rinker v170 on CL, they want 1950 for it with all of the equipment. Here is the ad http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2054391863.html

I emailed the guy asking for hours and info on why he was selling, here is his response ...
Honestly do not know the hours on the engine...we (my brother-in-law and I) have owned it for the last 20 yrs., I got it from him in spring 09...he mainly used it one or two weeks a yr. at lake Cumberland, tied to a houseboat. His kids grew and for 3 yrs he never took it out..was always stored inside prior to 08. I only had out 3 times this year due to wife having spine surgery and myself a knee replacement....makes it hard to do the upkeep.

I have been reading all the things to look at. We just had a daughter and we just want to go out on the lake with friends and do some tubing and a little skiing. My only concern is that it is winterized and he may be hesitant to let me hear it run ... Sounds like it was running this year and they used it, just health issues forcing them to sell.

What do yall think?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 rinker v170

Hi folks. My wife and I are looking for a boat to use next summer. Seems like an odd time to be shopping for one in Ohio, but sometimes people git rid of them a little cheaper right now so they don't have to store them over the winter. Found a 1987 rinker v170 on CL, they want 1950 for it with all of the equipment. Here is the ad http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2054391863.html

I emailed the guy asking for hours and info on why he was selling, here is his response ...
Honestly do not know the hours on the engine...we (my brother-in-law and I) have owned it for the last 20 yrs., I got it from him in spring 09...he mainly used it one or two weeks a yr. at lake Cumberland, tied to a houseboat. His kids grew and for 3 yrs he never took it out..was always stored inside prior to 08. I only had out 3 times this year due to wife having spine surgery and myself a knee replacement....makes it hard to do the upkeep.

I have been reading all the things to look at. We just had a daughter and we just want to go out on the lake with friends and do some tubing and a little skiing. My only concern is that it is winterized and he may be hesitant to let me hear it run ... Sounds like it was running this year and they used it, just health issues forcing them to sell.

What do yall think?

If you can't hear it run, don't buy it. Period. If he wants to sell it, he should be willing to let you hear it. Once you own it, it's your headache.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Remember the sellers goal is to get money from your pocket into his. Even though he may be a nice guy with a plausable tale don't take anything he tells you as fact unless you can personally verify.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rinker makes a good boat. After your inspection you are satisfied it's ok then make an offer contingent upon a merc mechanic checking it out.....There are good ones in central Ohio....I use Shock Wave out in Pataskla.....The photo looks good.....if the hull and trailer are well maintained...and the engine can pass an inspection then you've got a great boat....I purchased a Rinker and have been very pleased with it.....certainly, would recommend you go take a long look at it....

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mechanics inspection or written guarantee. If he is willing to sign a guarantee, have your lawyer look it over before you commit to it. They can be tricky.

debo1683

Cadet

well, went to go look at the boat today and it was a weird situation. We got there and couple other folks were looking at the boat, as soon as we walked up she whipped out her check book and bought the boat. Oh well, it had an OMC outdrive on it ... no big deal, there will be others out there :). thanks for your help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was figured that year of Rinker would have an OMC on it. Yeah, you didn't miss out on much.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your "lucky" to have been second.....didn't know about the OMC....keep looking....I got a 20 footer (Rinker) for $1,350. off of Columbus CL.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

well, went to go look at the boat today and it was a weird situation. We got there and couple other folks were looking at the boat, as soon as we walked up she whipped out her check book and bought the boat. Oh well, it had an OMC outdrive on it ...

That lady just took a bullet for you. Be thankful!