1987 Mercury Outboard

heather1

Cadet
I have a Mercury 1987 outboard motor. problem: runs fine with water hose hooked to it. when in the water at the lake it bogs and won't fun at full throtle. help

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1987 Mercury Outboard

That's indicative of a motor not running well on all it's cylinders.

Do a compression check.

And a plug check while they're out.

Try squeezing the bulb while trying to get it going.

Tell us what the actual model, horsepower, or serial number is.

And report back.

There are a number of other diagnostic procedures that can be made, but some require special tools, skills, or data references.

heather1

Cadet

Ball on gas tank does not get hard when pumped. stays soft. serial # is OB247899 60 hp Mercury 1987. Everything else I have looked at seems to be fine.

heather1

Cadet
Re: Need help '87 60 hp mercury

Re: Need help '87 60 hp mercury

[Please help! We have a 87 mercury outboard, 60 hp. Can't keep it going much above idle on the water. It bogs down when giving it throttle, and primer bulb does not remain hard. I guess it is supposed to? We have checked fuel filter, fuel pump assy. and are stumped..... Ser. #OB247899 came on 1987 Bomber Scout. Any help is greatly appreciated, (especially from my husband, I think he is about to blow!):

kingsnakejr

Seaman

If primer bulb won't stay hard the check valve in the fuel hose is probably bad. As far as not running above idle, sounds like the carburetor is flooding out when you give it more throttle. Probably need to rebuild carb(s). If you're gonna do the work yourself get a repair manual. Available at the top of this page or sometimes on ebay. Hope this helps.
ks