1987 Mercruiser 165 trim question

outdoorallens

Recruit
Just purchased a 1987 Larson Delta Conic that has a Mercruiser 165 4 cylinder engine on it. I need to raise the trim in order to back the boat into my driveway. No power to the boat and don't want to get into testing power sitting on the side of the street, would rather wait to get it in the yard before tearing into power issues. Is there a way to raise the trim without power? What is the best option?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, please do all the research you can on the mercruiser 470. Had you come here first, we would have steered you away from a 37 year old boat and the 470

third, disconnect the trim rams and use a ratchet strap to the ski tow eye

outdoorallens

Recruit
Thanks for the reply! Bought it as a fixer upper long term project. Will try disconnecting the rams to get the trim up. Need to get it off the street and into the yard and don’t have time to dig into electrical issues at the moment.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply! Bought it as a fixer upper long term project. Will try disconnecting the rams to get the trim up. Need to get it off the street and into the yard and don’t have time to dig into electrical issues at the moment.
the wiring of the drive train switch was the corrosion use the ohm meter ..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
first, welcome aboard

second, please do all the research you can on the mercruiser 470. Had you come here first, we would have steered you away from a 37 year old boat and the 470

third, disconnect the trim rams and use a ratchet strap to the ski tow eye
Last time I suggested that (correctly)….I was hounded by a few enthusiasts on here ! Glad you said it first !

Anyway. You could take the rams off at the end or maybe out it in forward and see if it lifts up and block it there.