1987 merc 70hp -- tan wire hanging near battery

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
there is a tan wire which seems to come out of my controller, runs 6ft along a ribbon cable (4-5) wires, and then dangles near my battery.

it appears to be tan or brown (maybe faded) and is terminated with a small eyelet, appearing ready to be bolted down somewhere.

i have searched my manual over and over again, and it appears it could related to the horn??!?

(possibly related): should i hear a buzzer when my key is on, and engine is off? is it related to this tan wire?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1987 merc 70hp -- tan wire hanging near battery

Do you have an Owners Manual or the factory Service Manual?

Usually Merc reserved the color tan for the temperature sensor on the engine.

Some models of controllers had a tan wire from the controller that would be run to the dash and connect to a small Buzzer, or warning horn which would be grounded to the ground lug on the accessory fuse panel.

If the motor was overheated then the buzzer would sound to warn the operator.

Test this by rigging the + wire from your volt/ohms tester to the tan wire and the - wire to a suitable ground. Now, with the key ON and the motor NOT running, ground the tan wire that is connected to the temp sensor on the motor and observe you meter for voltage.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

its the factory service manual.

however i dont find any info on this 4-5 wire ribbon cable (wires fused side by side, similar to trailer light wiring)

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

turns out its a:

"lead to trim indicator guage"

not quite sure if it needs to go somewhere, even if i dont have a trim indicator....

thanks for your help