1987 Johnson 70 VRO froze!

Leopoldo

Seaman
I am new to this forum and I am amazed on how knowledgable and generous the forum members are. I just purchase a 16" Waccamaw McKee 16 foot boat with this 70 VRO Johnson. Very little info other than it was last registered in 2000 when the motor froze. It has been sitting ever since with the second owner before I bought it. It was a trade for the second owner. He knows little about boats and motors, similair to myself.<br /><br />Questions: <br />Is it worth fixing?<br /><br />Any logical reasons why it froze?<br /><br />What would be the first procedure in determining it's value (to see if it is repairable)?<br /><br />And finally I am new to the 70 Johnson VRO outboard. What does OMC and VRO mean on this 3 cylinder Johnson?<br /><br />After reading a bit through the forums, I am guessing that the oil injection failed (VRO)! <br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1987 Johnson 70 VRO froze!

If it seized running, it may have overheated badly,or ran out of oil. If it froze sitting, maybe a leaking headgasket left cooling water in one cylinder and it rusted. If it froze sitting, it may be water in lower unit, blocking lower unit. It might not be powerhead at all, then. Fixable ?? Depends on damage. I would take a good look inside sparkplugholes with a pennlight, then drop lower unit and see if its the powerhead. If it is, off with the head and take a look at cylinders.

G DANE

Commander

Almost forgot - Welcome here and tell us what you found.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Thanks for the information G Dane, that will be a great start. It is a first step.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Also does anyone know if a 1986 70HP JOHNSON VRO is interchangeable (indentical) with a 1987 70HP JOHNSON VRO?

D

DJ

OMC=Outboard Marine Corporation. OMC went out of business in 2001 and was bought up by Bombardier who is now producing Johnson/Evinrude.<br /><br />VRO=Variable Ratio Oiling.

Leopoldo

Seaman

I found out the motor is not seized. The previous owner apparently didn't know much about it's history.<br /><br />I don't have a manuel at this time. A couple of questions.<br /><br />Is higher octane gas better for the 70, rather than just using regular gas?<br /><br />Reccomended spark plugs? Should they be a hotter plug, medium or a cooler one?<br /><br />Thanks.

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, run the cheap stuff, gas that is.<br /><br />Since the boat has been sitting so long, you'll want to drain the gas tank at start with fresh gas.<br /><br />Many of us with the VRO system (Very Risky Oiler) disconnect the VRO and mix the oil with the gas. This elimenates any risk of lubrication failure.<br /><br />Use the proper spark plugs. I'm guessing a QL77JC4 but someone else will have to confirm that.<br /><br />After sitting for 3 years, you'll probably need to rebuild the carbs.. And don't even run it until you put a new water pump in.<br /><br />Good luck...

Leopoldo

Seaman

Thanks for that information boys!<br /><br />What about props. The stock one (white)is really banged up and it reads 13 1/4 X 17. A new one (black) was in the boat, which is heavier in weight and has the stamp of 13 X 19. What is the difference between the two? Is the heavier 13 X 19 okay to use?