1987 Johnson 48 Spl Hard To Start

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I have a 48 spl that is hard to start. Pulled and cleaned the carbs they look good. Plugs are new and gapped. Timing is right on. When it does finally start it idles poorly. When I get it in gear it pushes an Alumacraft 16 ft classic about 30 mph. I have noticed an orange lever on what I think might be the choke? Sometimes messing with that seems to help. Anyhow this is my first post and Im starting to miss my old Merc 200. It was slow but at least it started. Please help!

george3405

Seaman
Re: 1987 Johnson 48 Spl Hard To Start

I have an '89 48 spl. The orange lever you refer to is on the choke solenoid. If memory serves me right it should be parallel (in line) with the length of the solenoid. This engine does not have a carb choke, but has this solenoid. With my engine I had a lot of running/ starting problems because the throttle linkages and carbs were not in synch. Check a service manual for procedure. Also when I start mine I have to keep bumping in on the ignition switch (activates choke solenoid) until the engine warms up. By the way, do you have barnicles on the bottom of your boat. This can cause the boat to be slower due to resistance. I hope I have been of help.
george3405

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, I have always had older smaller motors. It may seem silly but do I need to prime this motor by squeezing the bulb or am I flooding it?

george3405

Seaman

Yes, you definitely need to squeeze the primer bulb til it is tight and use the choke solenoid. Also make sure you have fresh gas. This gas today goes bad quickly. It can also have water in it. Let us know how it goes.
George3405

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

starting procedure, connect hose arrow on bulb pointing toward motor. pump blub till hard, motor in neutral, idle advance lever all the way up. turn key to on position, press in on key for an 8 count, now holding key in turn to start.
quit pushing on key. when it starts you may have to push in on the key once or twice, until the motor settles down, lower fast idle lever.

pushing in on the key activates the primer solenoid, to inject fuel directly into the intake, to start. replaces the old choke in the carb.

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the input, I'm going to go work on it tommorow. I'll let you know how it goes.

smyto

Recruit

Just scrap it and go halvsies on a 'Lumacraft Dominator with a 'Rude 150 with me. Why are we killing ourselves?

James R

Commander

The comment regarding gas going bad is very valid. If you use Stabil in your gas you can avoid this problem and keep your carbs clean.

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all that responded. The Primer solenoid gasket was shot. Fixed air leaks, and replaced a hose. Starting procedure helped immensley(although I don't have a warm up lever) Fixed just in time to stare at her in the garage all winter.

tashasdaddy

what control do you have, some have a button in the center of the handle that disengages the shift, and you move the lever forward for increased throttle in neutral. and there are others.

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

It's an omc control. when you push the button it allows you to shift. I believe as soon as you push it's in gear.

tashasdaddy

post a picture of it, there are many omc controls.

you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format.