1987 Four Winns 211 Liberator

Direct Deposit

Recruit
I'm looking for some feedback. I just boat my 211 liberator with a 350 Magnum Mercuiser, the engine sounds great and the boat look in good shape. Have you experienced any major issues with your boat? Any thing I need to watch for? How does it ride in fresh water vs salt water. Thanks

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Four Winns 211 Liberator

My very first boat was a 1987 Liberator 211 with a 5.7 mercruiser. It was an awesome boat. I have had 5 sport cuddies since that time, and presently have a 1990 liberator 201. Yes I went back to a liberator after owning a 21' sea ray cuddy, and a chaparral villian III amoung others. They are heavy boats with a deep V hull that always provides a smooth ride in any type of water or conditions.

Now, things to watch out for-----as with any used boat it all boils down to how well the boat has been maintained prior to your purchase. #1. Make sure you are not getting any any water in the bilge while running or sitting. IF YOU ARE, have it fixed immiedately. #2 make sure you are not getting any gas or oil in bilge--IF YOU ARE, have it fixed immediately. #3 unless you are positive that the stern drive has been professionally serviced very recently, then have it serviced (change drive fluid, new impeller kit, vacuum tested for leaks, checked for metal patriculates, etc) #4. Unless you have proof engine oil was properly changed very recently, have it changed by a professional. You can do this yourself, but requires a pump to get it out of the boat without making a mess and the pumps start at about $70 for a good one. #5 It never hurts to do a basic tune up---plugs, wires, Dist cap and rotor, water/fuel seperator, clean flame arrestor, and if it has points in the iginition, I would upgrade to electronic iginition. (I had a marina replace the points in my liberator with electronic iginition for $350) and I have more power, more speed, and better fule economy.

Bottom line, if you take care of that liberator, it will take care of you for years to come.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Wow! Now I know they made more than one of those damm Liberators!!!

Yeah, you're gonna LOVE that Liberator! I have not had mine in salt water. I think my brother took it out in SF bay once but he didn't say anything about how it rode in salt water. He told me it was so much trouble flushing it and cleaning it up he didn't do it again!!

I was out today at the local residential lake and we had a great time with it! I bought mine from my brother who bought it new.

What sort of WOT speed do you get with the 5.7?

Cheers,

Rick

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rick, To answer your question about speed @ WOT. I have the OMC 5.7 and I am running the factory SS prop 19p. With two peeps and half tank of gas, I am getting about 4500 rpm and about 55 mph according to my speedo. I do not have a GPS to test speedo. As I dont get passed much, I think the 55 I am showing is pretty accurate.

I noticed you repowered your boat from OMC to mercruiser....I would LOVE to re-power my boat with a new 383 stroker or 496 HO (complete new package with transom assembly and bravo drive) How much of a PIA is that? I assume the transom hole has to be filled and re -cut to fit Mercruiser. Do all of the gages have to be replaced? Helm? etc. Please advise of PIA factor. I guess is boils down to how much additional expense above the complete power package (engine, drive, and complete transom assembly)

Ben

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ben,

It's really not that hard. There's really no PIA factor other than you have to have a lift capable of picking up the engine etc.

The transom cutout is the same. You do have to probably do a little glassing in the transom area since Four Winns did a terrible fiberglass job there. The transom drain on mine allowed water to almost completely fill the transom with water and oil. The good thing was since there was oil in the water it didn't rot the transom. It took me about 2 or 3 months to completely dry out the transom enough to reglass it in there....I also filled a pretty big void below the transom and above the lower fiberglass in the bottom with marine epoxy mixed with "milled fiberglass.

The only difference in the cutout is the 2 additional bolt holes that must be drilled for the Bravo. (it has 8 to the Kobra 6)

According to my brother this boat (with the 460/King, 1.43:1 & 20p prop) did 60 mph at 5000 rpm (max rpm + 200) when new. It was always very slow out of the hole.... That 460 is very heavy. He ran it from 1987 to about 2005 when he sold it to me......when I found out I couldn't buy exhaust manifolds or a coupler (I think they're available now though) I started looking for a replacement engine/drive. I considered everything. including new VP 8.1/Duoprop and Mercruiser 496/Bravo X etc. ($22,000-24000 for those:eek:)

A couple winters ago we had a huge wind storm and after that I found a 23' 1998 Bayliner in Craigslist that was hit by a tree. The guy wanted to sell the engine/drive etc... I bought everything including the complete wiring harness, gages, controls, etc.

I didn't use his gages since mine were new Teleflex replaced by my brother only a year or 2 before. (any gages will work,....they're standard)

I could have even used my old OMC wiring harness but the newer Mercruiser harness has a few additional wires in it for the oil/temp/ drive oil alarm system. His harness was "unmolested" and the the old Four Winns wiring looked like a 5 year old wired it so I ripped it ALL out!!!

I also replaced my throttle/shift control with a new Teleflex CH1700 control and new cables (you need Mercury cables)

Now with the 454/Bravo III it does about 57mph(GPS) at WOT (4600 rpm, 26P props 1.81:1 drive)

My brother was up here from Ca last OCT and he wanted to drive it so we took it to the local lake. He said it goes about as fast as it did (who can tell 3mph?) but he said it comes out of the hole and accelerates more than twice as fast as it EVER did with the 460. He said all the liberators are a little slow out of the hole. (maybe with a small block it's better because it's lighter in the back?)

There's no doubt that it might be a little faster with a Bravo I but it does just ROCKET out of the hole now!

I think a great combination would be an aluminum 383 with aluminum manifolds and elbows..... and a Bravo III........actually I am sort of looking for a 502. With aluminum heads, manifolds and risers, it would probably weigh about the same as an iron small block, but have massive HP!

It's a lot of fun to drive now!!

By the way, Your drive should be a 1.41:1 ratio if it's original ..... my King is 1.43:1..... I plugged your numbers into a prop slip calculator. Without a verified speedo and tach the numbers aren't very meaningful......but your drive with 4800 rpm (max for your engine) 19p prop should produce 52mph with 15% slip (common for a single prop......)

After you verify your speedo with GPS and your tach you can calculate your slip very acurrately with that calculator.

Cheers,

Rick

BEFORE
dscn0666.jpg

AFTER
new1.jpg

dsc_0028.jpg

bravoIII2.gif

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice

Rick, I thank you for the detailed reply. I would have never guessed that the cut out is the same for OMC and Mercruiser---good to know. I am guessing the factory motor mounts on OMC and mercruiser both work on the stringers without modification to either?

That is a sharp Liberator you have there and it looks like you did TOP NOTCH work to it. My hat's off to you there.

Here's a few pics of my 89 liberator 201, and I am going to keep my eyes out for a damaged boat with a 496/bravo package that I can purchase for salvage price.

Ben