1987 Bayliner Capri control cables don't make sense!!!

skixp

Recruit
I am working on my Sister's 1987 Bayliner Capri with a Force 50 outboard. Both of the control cables have been removed and I am trying to reinstall new ones. But it doesn't make any sense. Please refernce http://www.smalloutboards.com/f5080.htm for pictures of the same motor. So with the control cables there is a typical core inside of a sheath. My thought is that the core should actuate the throttle and gear shifter. In other word I would have expected the core to attach at both ends (motor and shifter). But on the motor the cable core is hard mounted and the SHEATH is attached to the the throttle and gear shift levers which performs the actuation. But then on the shifter (opposite end) the CORE is mounted to the linkages?!? What sense does that make? Unless I am missing something that is how it appears to be designed but how can that work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Bayliner Capri control cables don't make sense!!!

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I have often said that Chrysler/Force used a goofy control cable system.

But look at it from the engineer's standpoint. Increased complexity leads inevitably to increased cost. On an entry level engine, cost is a large factor and must be ruthlessly controlled.

This strange yet clever cable system helps keep the throttle and shift linkage simple thus less expensive to make.

Now, analyse the actual thought process and what actually happens. With the inner core being a fixed length, and the outer jacket a fixed length, if you shorten the distance between the core and the jacket at the control box, the distance MUST increase at the engine end. It makes no difference whether the core moves or the jacket moves (thus whether the core is anchored solidly or the jacket is). The distance will still be greater (or less if you move the control the other way)

The main drawback to this system is that the jacket must be absolutely free to move at the engine end--that's why the cables are usually about 2-3 feet longer than the measurement from control box to engine, and there is always a loop at the engine end. The other drawback is that there seems to be a little more "slop". But as a trade for less complex engine linkages it works.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yes, it does work "backwards". Surprised the heck out of me too. But that is how it works, and it does work well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

skixp

Recruit

Ok so if I am understanding this correctly there would have to be a way to imobilize the sheath at the shifter right? Which whould allow the distance between the core and sheath to be changed causing actuation at the motor. Currently only the core is attached at the shifter and when moved the whole cable (both core and sheath) move together with no change in their distance to each other. And the only way I can see how the sheath might have previously been imobilized is a couple of broken zip-ties. So it sounds like I need to have a look for something further that is missing maybe.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The sheath should have a metal end on it that mounts in a C bracket on the shift mechanism. I had mine apart last year and that is the best I can remember.