1987 BassTracker livewell question...

DRR324

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1987 Tracker guide v-16, with 25hp mariner, and trailer. I am wondering about the livewell, and how do I let the water out after fishing for the day. It has a tube for overflow, but I can't get the tube out of the base- or if this is even possible. It seems like it should come out to drain the water out, but I don't want to pull to hard.
Long story behind the restoration project- I'll share it later....
Thanks for any answers.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 BassTracker livewell question...

Are you sure this isnt self draining? Like when you pull it out of the water?

Otherwise, I'd assume there was a pump under the live well...probably controlled at the dash? Check your aux switches.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a lever on the side of the boat usually just under the throttle? If so thats probably your open close valve for the live well.

Is there a plug in the drain of the live well your overlooking?

If you don't have another drain in the live well then the overfill tube is your drain and it pulls out.

If still in doubt call Tracker Boats they will be able to pull up info on your boat and tell you. There very good to work with, Ive used them several times.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Even if you do get the standpipe (proper term) out the bottom of the live well may be below the water line so there may always be some water in it unless you trailer the boat or you have the standpipe out while under way. You then have someone stick it back in when the livewell is empty but before you come off-plane -- other wise it will simply let water back in.

DRR324

Recruit

I checked through the manual last night and it reads that the standpipe could be removed to fully drain the livewell. I live just a 1/4 mile from the boat launch and will trailer it home. Probably just need to put some lube on pipe to get it freed up.

The short version story on the boat. I saw it sitting in the trees beside a house- it was covered with the tracker cover. Last registration date was 1997. I asked the owner if he was interested in selling it. After a bit of coaxing, he said he would sell, but warned me that under the cover was a nightmare in waiting. 10 years worth of water damage to all the decking and carpet, no seats (he put them in his jon boat)
wiring a mess, etc. I pulled off the cover and all I could see was a diamond in the rough just needing some elbow grease and a bit of cash. After a short discussion on pricing, I paid him the $650.00, put air in the tires and pulled it home. I want to be upfront and say- I DIDN"T TAKE ANY PICTURES- why, becasue I am an IDIOT. I do things like this once in awhile and buy something to restore it. When I get going, I just never think about pictures, just thinking about the next step and getting it done.
I spent the first 2 hours pulling all the junk carpet, decking, and debris out of it. The bottom was still full of water as rotted wood had plugged the drain holes in the stringers. After getting it drained, I pulled the motor and hung the boat from the rafters in my pole barn. Using the winch on my polaris ranger, I winched it up and flipped it over, draining about 5 gallons of water hiding in the foam. I ran a heater under it for a week drying to salvage the foam, but it was too far gone, so I stripped out all the foam. It hung for 2 more days with the heat just to dry things out. I gave the bottom the mothers aluminum polish treatment while it was hanging. Once dry, I flipped it back over and onto the trailer. 12 cans of spray foam, along with some nice foam blocks and I was ready to move on. Next step was to repaint the inside. I bought some textured spray paint (rustoleum- gray,with black and white texture) and got the inside done. Next came the carpet and decking- using the smoke colored carpet from cabelas. While that was being done, I also repainted the outside which was all sun faded. I taped off the big bass tracker decal- touching up a few spots with airbrush paint, then painted the outside with a dark metallic gun metal color (like the newer tracker color). Ordered new seats, and poles, reinstalled the anchor mate, trolling motor (which I plan on replacing soon) and the steering column. Bought a new switch plate, got the new light bases installed and wired everything up. Ended up replacing the bilge and aerator pumps as well. At this point, I am just waiting on my local boat mechanic to finish with the motor- having the water pump impeller replaced, lower unit oil changed, carb cleaned and new plugs installed. My last fw steps will be to pull the tires off the trailer to sand and repaint the rims, replace the bunks, and the other wood pieces, rework the trailer wiring and I should be done.

I will take some pics of the piles of carpet, decking and foam I removed (haven't had time to clean up the mess yet) and of course some of the completed project.... should have it in the water tomorrow if I can get the motor picked up this afternoon.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy crap! Nice story, lot of work! And you're right...you should have taken pictures!!!! :eek:

This would have been a great story in the restoration section of this forum!

Regardless though, glad you were able to do all of that, and hopefully we'll see some finished pictures? Perhaps of it on the water? ;)

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice! My only questions is...considering you did all that work yourself, why did you not replace impeller, sparks, lower unit oil yourself? Seems the work you did yourself was harder than all that!

Oh, and where are the pics of how she looks now?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Must................have..................pics!

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine unscrews, but it's a Lund.

mccormrj

Recruit

Howdy! Novice here trying to understand a simply livewell system. My Wellcraft 160CCF has a livewell under the seat but I have yet to see it in operation. My drains well as my first novice attempt was to put water in in manually and flip the switch to see it worked....not! In the water I flipped the switch and it won't fill. My boat owner/service manual doesn't cover this very well so I'm asking 1) what switche(s) should be on, and 2) failing to work where should I look for the "pump"? Would greatly appreciate some help. :confused:

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Howdy! Novice here trying to understand a simply livewell system. My Wellcraft 160CCF has a livewell under the seat but I have yet to see it in operation. My drains well as my first novice attempt was to put water in in manually and flip the switch to see it worked....not! In the water I flipped the switch and it won't fill. My boat owner/service manual doesn't cover this very well so I'm asking 1) what switche(s) should be on, and 2) failing to work where should I look for the "pump"? Would greatly appreciate some help. :confused:

Check the fill valve on the inside of the livewell my bass boat you can open or close the valve either letting water in or keeping water out. Your's could be the same and its closed. Also on my boat the master switch and the livewell switch have to be on for the pump to work.

DRR324

Recruit

Nice! My only questions is...considering you did all that work yourself, why did you not replace impeller, sparks, lower unit oil yourself? Seems the work you did yourself was harder than all that!

Oh, and where are the pics of how she looks now?

Well, I did end up doing this work myself Saturday morning. I picked the motor up Friday afternoon, and to save a bit of money, told the mech I'd do these myself. His bill was higher than expected, the motor needed a new stator and switchboy, (almost $300 in parts), so I told him I do the others myself. Got the motor mounted back on the boat, and launched it Saturday early afternoon. Took my kids out for some bluegill fishing and to play with some bass. We caught and released a couple of nice smallies, then focused on the gills. Found them in the shallow water on the north shore and in 45 minutes to an hour, we put 30 in the livewell. Most averaged 9 inches, but we had a few that were over 10". I said that was enough, I didn't want to clean fish the rest of the day..... So we headed out to find a few more bass to play with and called it a day. I do have pitcures of the fish, and of the boat, but I have to download them. I had a full day yesterday with a niece graduating and me playing camera man. I'll add the pics today if all goes well.

jmmiller87

Recruit

I used PVC pipe that fit in the hole at the bottom of my live well and came out about 4-5" and then T'd up to the height I wanted. When I'm fishing I put it in and when I finish and want to drain the live well I just take it out and leave it in the bottom. It works real well, just sliding in and out. By the way I have an '87 16' bass tracker also.
Hope this takes care of your Q.
Mike

johnhanselman

Recruit

I used PVC pipe that fit in the hole at the bottom of my live well and came out about 4-5" and then T'd up to the height I wanted. When I'm fishing I put it in and when I finish and want to drain the live well I just take it out and leave it in the bottom. It works real well, just sliding in and out. By the way I have an '87 16' bass tracker also.
Hope this takes care of your Q.
Mike

I have a 1987 tracker and I use a pair of pliers to remove the cap the the pvc pipe inside the live well to remove the water. Of course I only remove the cap when the boat is out of the water and I have to make sure that I place the cap back on the pvc pipe. Otherwise water will over fill the live well and the boat could eventually sink. It happens - :facepalm:.

If someone cemented your pvc cap on the pvc pipe then you will have to manually pump out or vacuum out the live well