1987 90hp Johnson rebuilt with flatback?

kencat

Seaman
I've been searching for an answer to my concern but have not found it, hence my post.

I bought a 1987 90 hp Johnson (J90TLCU) with a rebuilt powerhead. I bought the OMC service manual online. The picture section of the manual shows the motor with a bubbleback exhaust.

My motor has a flat plate exhaust. The seller told me that he had to obtain a new block for the rebuild, but does not know the history of the new block as he obtained it from a rebuild shop locally.

From reading posts here, it seems that the 90 hp models were flatback designs. Am I wrong, or is the service manual wrong showing a bubbleback design?

Also, the manual shows the 90MLCU model with a flatback exhaust, so perhaps this block is from this model? or worse, from some ancient year.

Other than the powerhead, the rest of the motor (carbs, electrics, midsection, lower end etc.) is from the TLCU motor.......SO...is there an issue here with a mismatch of parts, if indeed a TLCU is supposed to have a bubbleback style exhaust system?

D

DJ

Re: 1987 90hp Johnson rebuilt with flatback?

All the 90's were flatbacks. The 115's and up were "bubbles".

kencat

Seaman
Re: 1987 90hp Johnson rebuilt with flatback?

Thank you DJ. I am happy to hear that.

What's up with the factory service manual then? Pages 4-38 and 4-39. It includes the 90TLCU with a few other models with the word "Typical" in brackets. Does Typical" mean "sorta like" :confused: