1987 70HP Yamaha Low Oil Indicator on Tach

1980Montauk

Recruit
I have a 1987 70HP Yamaha 2 stroke. The oil warning lights are on the tachometer. Last time I had the boat out the yellow warning light came on even though the main oil tank is almost full. I have researched this pretty extensively and hope it's just a small clog or some sludge in the tank as I've read. I cannot find a oil filter (the one inside the tank) on my particular model. The engine is operating perfectly. I've never heard an alarm and this is the fifth year I've owned the boat and engine. I plan on cleaning out the oil tank and checking all the lines. I also think the oil float tube maybe getting stuck. I say this because when I just turn on the ignition and tilt the engine up the green light goes back on. I really want to get out there but I'm kind of scared to run the engine with the light on. Does my game plan make sense? Do you think it's a bad idea to run the engine with the light on? Can I pre-mix until I resolve the issue? Is too much oil a bad thing? I'm thinking about disconnecting the oil pump if I can't resolve the issue. I can get a 26 gallon Moeller fuel tank and mixing should be pretty easy. My Tempos are about shot. I've already replaced the CDI unit and rectifier. I hate to keep spending money on a 1987 when I do plan on re-powering in the next couple of years. Thanks for any help! Garey

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: 1987 70HP Yamaha Low Oil Indicator on Tach

I would suggest pre-mix until resolved. #2 in the first pic is the oil filter. If you have a multi meter you can test the float switch as per the other 2 pics.

yamoilinjection.jpg

yam2.jpg

yam3.jpg