1987 60hp water in lower cylinder..Help!!

falkor

Cadet
Just got my 1987 60hp hooked up on new to me boat.I didnt use it last yr and was stored inside garage. Now the problem. It turns over but wont start. Got new fuel,lots of power but havent checked for spark as of yet. Pulled plugs top 2 nice but bottom one had water/oil .Tried several times to no availe. Finally pulled head off only to reveal water mixed with the gas in lower cylinder. Does this mean cracked block? or a gasket leaking somewhere..HELLLP!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 60hp water in lower cylinder..Help!!

It is possiable to have a cracked block, did it run properly the last time you used it?
Usually water gets in either past a head gasket or exhaust cover gaskets.

falkor

Cadet

Ran like a top up until the day it was removed from boat. I will try removing the exhaust cover and checking there for a leak.

falkor

Cadet

having an issue getting at the bottom bolts on the exhaust cover. Not enough room to remove them. Do I have to remove or loosen the motor cowling base?

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, remove it. Be careful with those bolts!

falkor

Cadet

Woo Hoo !! Thanks Guys and to all those who have had this problem in the past. I removed all the bolts to the pan (mounting brackets included). I then had access to all the bolts to the water jacket/ exhaust housing. Removed housing ...and what do i see... the gasket broken in 2 spots at the lower cylinder! I am so freekin happy all its costing me is some gaskets and my labour...cha ching. Cheers to all I'll toast a pint of the good stuff to yahs !

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem.