1987 50hp motor running problem

John5421

Cadet
I have a question to you motor guru's out there. About a month ago I broke the exhaust snout on the motor, the motor would run when throttled up in forward then at a certain point would just seem to pop out of gear and just rev real high. I bought a new exhaust snout and it seemed to fix the problem. Until last week I was going across the lake at almost full throttle then it did it again it seem to pop out and just rev real high. I could only run at just a little above trolling speed. Then just past that it would do it again, just rev real high. When I got out of the water I checked the exhaust snout it was fine. What else could be causing this problem?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 50hp motor running problem

check for a spun prop. Your prop has rubber in it that acts like a shear pin. Draw a line on the prop hub to the cone at the end of the prop. Use permanant marker or finger nail polish. When motor pops out of gear or revs up real high look at prop and see if your line on the prop and the prop cone still line up. If not you need to get your prop fixed or buy a new one.<br /><br />Good luck