1987 35 hp force compression check/circuit breaker tripping

bluefin87

Cadet
I had an overheat that melted wires that were against block. No peeled paint on block. Small power wire grounded out is what tripped circuit breaker kicking off motor. I black taped over melted spots on wire for short term just to try and perform a compression check.

Every time I crank it over the circuit breaker trips. ? will this affect doing the compression check?
There are no exposed wires. I have throttle wide open, killswitch pulled, both plugs out, crankin for about 6 seconds....i have plug wires just dangling. Is that my problem? do i need to ground those somehow?

I hope I am doing something wrong because when i did the compression check I got 60 psi each cylinder.
Any help would be appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 35 hp force compression check/circuit breaker tripping

Doesn't sound good.

Don't know what is causing the breaker to trip, other than a short ... somewhere.

Time to pull the head and inspect.

fucawi

Banned

if the trip is still clicking off you still have a short somewhere...gain full access to the harness for inspection. Take the wires off the trip and connct to a car headlamp bulb. When the short is in place the bulb will glow full bright...fiddle around with the wiring till the bulb goes out or dim ..you have found your short ..thats called a wiggle test ....
If your ignition is CD then you should never run with plug leads disconnected or you will buggger the switch boxes..you need a set of plugs in a metal bar which you earth to connect the leads to for this type of test

bluefin87

Cadet

How do I tell if ignition is CD? Does that stand for candela? as far as the set of plugs in a metal bar do you have a pic for example?

fucawi

Banned

if you have a switchbox its CD.....easy job ..take a bit of wood say 4 in x1 x 1/2 drill two holes(two cylinder ) in it so you can scew some old plugs tight into it ....wrap some bare wire around the threads as you tighten them down and put a crock clip on the end .....plug leads go on the plugs .clip goes on the block ...all the repair shops have them