1987 180HP 3.7lx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublemaker

Recruit
I have a Mach1 2100 Explorer built by Freedom Marine and as far as I know it's a one of a kind. The problem lies in the engine it's tired and after massive amounts of funding it does't want to take me for a ride anymore. Does anyone know if I can repower this boat for sure? Either the bigger engine or a new 3.7. 3 Marina's and 3 different opinions. :(

chiefmike58

Seaman
Re: 1987 180HP 3.7lx

Troublemaker, I've got a pair of Mercruiser 3.7s in my boat. They are available remanufactured from Mercruiser and many aftermarket locations. These motors are very economical and have a high horsepower to cubic inch displacement. On the negative side, the water circulator is on the end of the camshaft and if seals get worn, will wear groove in camshaft. An upgrade kit is available. The other downside to these motors is the water cooled voltage regulator. Copper pipe running through regulator can corrode and cause electrical problems. There is also a replacement alternator/regulator available. Other than that these motors are very reliable and efficient, but a tad expensive. If your space will allow, I would imagine that a 4.3 V6 might be a viable option, giving you more power and more readily available parts. There is also a 130 or 140HP 4cyl available new for about the same price as a remanufactured 3.7, and its HP is measured at the prop, making it a closer match to the 3.7. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.