1986 Yamaha ProV 150 won't run in water

dirtmod61

Cadet
O.K. guys. I've searched the posts, but can't find an old post pertaining to my particular problem. I have a confusing issue that has me pulling my hair out. I bought a 1986 Stratos bass boat with a Yamaha ProV 150 a couple of years ago. It seemed to have run well with muffs, but looked like a monkey had a hand in wiring it. I rewired most of the boat as time permitted, and roughly a year later, I took it to the lake. I warmed it up at the house on muffs so I knew it would start easily at the ramp. When I got to the ramp, I started the engine in the water. It sputtered, and tried to die. Water was coming out the top of the leg right below the powerhead, so I knew something was wrong. I tore the lower unit apart,to replace seals, and discovered a seal in the housing was MISSING. So I installed a new one. While I was in there, I replaced the impeller, housing, etc. A couple of months ago, I tried to test it out again, but it wouldn't run. I pulled all 3 carbs off, and went completely through them. Thoroughly cleaning them, blowing compressed air through all the passages, etc. I drained and cleaned the tank, replaced the filter, the pickup tube, and all the fuel lines, primer bulb and spark plugs are new. It ran awesome on the muffs. I took it to the lake today, and it fired right off. Then it sputtered and died. It would not restart in the water. I pulled it back up the ramp, checked spark on all 6 cylinders, and it fired right off again. When I backed it back into the water, it started, ran about 5 seconds then died and wouldn't restart. I know fuel system is always the first to get blamed, but at this point I'm wondering if something is amiss in the lower unit. Maybe too much back pressure in the exhaust? I'm fairly certain the carbs are clean and good to go. I'm truly at a loss right now. I'm about at the end of my rope. I JUST WANT TO GO FISHING!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check the primer bulb before it dies. Is it collapsed, or slightly full? As a diagnostic test, start the engine and keep your hand around primer bulb. You should be able to feel fuel flowing through the bulb. If it begins to collapse, squeeze the bulb to keep it full. If the engine continues to run because you're squeezing the primer bulb....fuel pump(s) are bad.

I don't think you're issue is related to the LU. It is were the engine would continue to run while in neutral. But I must say, being that wiring was bad, missing seals....who knows. Sounds like you're on the right track by going through the engine carefully to replace/repair mistakes made by previous owner.

dirtmod61

Cadet
Thanks for the input, Classic. The primer bulb and all fuel lines are new. However, that doesn't mean that it couldn't still be defective. I will check that after Church. Is there any diagnostic test I could do on the fuel pumps without submerging the lower in water? I'm about 45 minutes from the lake.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
The back pressure on the exhaust when in the water does affect the running at idle.
there are idle relief ports on motors to help relieve some of this pressure,
make sure they are not plugged up for some reason.

final cab adjustments need to be done in the water.
make sure you follow the link and sync in service manual every time you put the carbs back on.
carbs may not be clean enough yet

the frequently asked question section of these forums is a good place to find info.
here is some on fuel systems
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ts-fuel-system

Last edited:

dirtmod61

Cadet
Update:

​I was running the engine on the muffs while holding the primer bulb to check for flow. My son revved the motor up as I happened to be looking at the fuel filter. Revving it immediately drained the filter. Made me think about the pumps. I removed and disassembled them to check the diaphragms. Both were torn. Rebuild kits ordered. I will update when I get the pumps rebuilt and installed. I had assumed that the engine wouldn't run at all with the diaphragms being torn, but apparently they moved just enough fuel to stay running out of the water. Hopefully this will be the last repair.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sons are good to have handy when fixing stuff. Hope the rebuilt pumps do the trick. Let us know.

dirtmod61

Cadet
Pumps are rebuilt and installed. Engine sounds incredible. Very crisp throttle response! Will try to lake test tomorrow.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Awesome. Testing under load is the end-all be-all. Hopefully once on the lake you're good to go. Post update.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Keep us posted and let us know how the fishing was.

dirtmod61

Cadet
We have a winner!!!! This thing is F-A-S-T!!! Fuel pumps were the culprit. Thanks for the input, guys! Now I'm looking forward to cosmetics. Carpet, and whatnot.

​Mike. The fishing was horrible. 102 degrees while we were on the water. The WOT runs to the dam and back were amazing, though!

Thanks again, guys!!!