1986 SunRunner “The Big shark” My first boat

Hello all, My name is Matt & I’m 24. After saving up for quite a while, last August - I was able to acquire a 1986 SunRunner 310 with Twin 5.7L V8’s and aq280 Outdrives. Previous owner seemed to keep up on her pretty well.

Had an absolute blast last summer with her. Especially bringing her home across Lake Ontario in the evening. Can’t wait for another great, upcoming year!

However, I am looking to fill in some blanks; with my vessel with possible help of some of you on here. 😊
I understand that SunRunner went out of business, somewhere around the 1990’s. But I am trying to find the specs on, but not limited to: shore power requirements, proper oil for drives/engines. Best place to find parts or upgraded lighting etc. She’s a lot of boat to learn 😁 But I love her.

Oh and, It’ll be a pleasure getting to know some of you on here hopefully in the coming time 😊

Cheers
3916CBEE-DE6C-4249-AE34-22CB9A3461F8.jpeg

briangcc

Commander
Service manual for the engine/drives will have the lubrication requirements/recommendations. I'd look up the Volvo literature for that.

Nothing on that boat is manufacturer specific so...I'd look no further than iboats to upgrade parts. Besides, you get a forum discount.

Can't help ya on the shorepower stuff. If you don't have the owners manual then I'd check with a reputable marina. From the reg numbers it looks like you're in the great white north (Canada) eh?

Service manual for the engine/drives will have the lubrication requirements/recommendations. I'd look up the Volvo literature for that.

Nothing on that boat is manufacturer specific so...I'd look no further than iboats to upgrade parts. Besides, you get a forum discount.

Can't help ya on the shorepower stuff. If you don't have the owners manual then I'd check with a reputable marina. From the reg numbers it looks like you're in the great white north (Canada) eh?
Hey Briangcc
Pleasure to meet you.
One good thing I have luckily - is the Seloc stern drive manual. So that has been my only source thus far.

Looking like 10w30 oil for both engine and drives. According to my Seloc manual so far.
Correct me if I am wrong, Ofcourse.

And yessir, located in hamilton Ontario, Canada.

Excellent paint job!
It’s a sweet wrap by previous owner. After some digging tho, she use to look like this - when she came out of storage ( From what I can assume, between 2016-2018) after I “beleive” was an acquisition from a company that went bankrupt.

Attachments

• 70E2C69C-E961-4776-AC4C-C19F4D95B4E5.jpeg
    70E2C69C-E961-4776-AC4C-C19F4D95B4E5.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 20

mr 88

Commander
If I was doing a lot of cruising I would go with a 10-15 to 40--45 weight oil . Motors are under a constant load pushing that around and a heavier oil will perform better under the circumstances in your case. That's what I use in a few similar set ups , 305s -350s and 454s all get Castrol 40/45 depending on what they have when stocking up .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Seloc manual has lots of wrong info. Get a proper factory manual

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Looking like 10w30 oil for both engine and drives. According to my Seloc manual so far.
Correct me if I am wrong, Ofcourse.
Welcome!! SAE30 or 15w45 for engines.Drives take gear lube,much heavier/thicker.Totally different than engine oil.Charlie

captmello

Captain
Welcome!! SAE30 or 15w45 for engines.Drives take gear lube,much heavier/thicker.Totally different than engine oil.Charlie
this is incorrect unless it has a dp lower unit.
the single prop 280 outdrive takes motor oil, not gear lube.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Correct, back in 86, with SP drives. SAE 30 for every fluid. Enging oil, drive oil, Power Steering, and Tilt/Trim

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
the single prop 280 outdrive takes motor oil, not gear lube.
WOW!!! I have never heard of that and really cant believe it.Great idea using HD straight weight oil for EVERYTHING aboard ...However...... I cant see an outdrive holding up without gear lube.Guess they didnt.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Staff member
WOW!!! I have never heard of that and really cant believe it.Great idea using HD straight weight oil for EVERYTHING aboard ...However...... I cant see an outdrive holding up without gear lube.Guess they didnt.Charlie
They are still working today

The old AQ series are well built drives