1986 Starcraft 16' Aluminum Jon w/50HP Evinrude

jnaarnold

Seaman
Well, I just picked this up for $1000.00. I thought I got a good deal. The trailer looks new, tires and all. It even has the upgraded LED lights. The motor sold with boat has tilt and trim, remote steering. I was told one cylinder had a scratch/score down it. The head was off when I bought it. I decided to put the head back on and see if it would run. GREAT news, it runs really good. Idles good, revs good. Just waiting to water test it. However, after I went to tag the trailer here in North Carolina, I proceeded to the NC Wildlife Agency to register the boat and was told , after about an hour of headaches, that the boat has a lien on it!! Talk about being fuming mad, WOW! So, I called the guy I got the boat from, which got it in a trade from another guy and both of them never registered it. I am going to call the NC Wildlife HQ tomorrow. As anyone ever heard of this? Is it resolveable? Or should I plan on looking for another boat? Also, can someone tell me more about my HIN....STRS0327L586? Please, if someone can shed some 'happy ending' news my way I sure would be happy.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• P1010014-1.jpg
    P1010014-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1

jnaarnold

Seaman
Re: 1986 Starcraft 16' Aluminum Jon w/50HP Evinrude

WOW!!!!! Nice boat....just had to get at least one reply...lol

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat! Sounds like a good deal. Check the compression of the motor. That will tell you allot about the cylinder walls also.

I hate registration. I have no idea what to tell you about the lien.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's what I'd do. Check out the lien. Perhaps it would be worth paying it off. However, I'd go to the seller and ask him to pay at least half of it. Second, if it is greater than the value of boat, motor and trailer, check what the lien is on. If it is just the boat, I'd be inclined to keep the motor and trailer and figure I didn't get taken too badly (unless the motor is garbage). I have a 1986 Johnson 50 and would so love to have the electric lift. I'm 75 and lifting the motor is getting harder all the time.