1986 mercury 45hp classic fifty ?!?!?!?!?

Captn Bax

Recruit
Just changed my lower unit as i put everything back to together and went to fire the motor it seemed like the starter wasn't strong enough to trun the flywheel made a sound as if the battery was dying the battery had just came off a full charge. asuming it was the starter i removed it and cleaned the whole thing and then tested it on a battery and it kicked right on . I then put the stater back on the motor with a brand new deep cycle 1000 cranking amp battery on it and it did the same thing . Even pulled the plugs and the motor stater turning over with no prob . seeems like the starter is no good .
just need to see if im correct or if there is something else to do . ????

thanks
Captn Bax

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: 1986 mercury 45hp classic fifty ?!?!?!?!?

You say you changed your L/U, are you sure it's not in gear (can the prop move freely on both direction)? It sometines happened that the control is in neutral but the gearbox slipped either in foward or reverse during the reinstallation.

Captn Bax

Recruit

yes motor and l/u were in neutral during the reinstall prop moves both directions in (N)

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

so the prop turns easily in both directions

you have gremlin - no seriously though - did you do work to the lower unit ? or is it a replacement unit ?

has the motor sat a long trime ?

saumon

Lieutenant

Check that all the connections from the battery up to the starter are clean and tight.

You could also clean and lightly oil the bendix shaft on the starter.

Captn Bax

Recruit

every connection is tight no currosion at all the boat sat for 4 months but was started on a regular. i ran the boat after i installed the l/u this just happened when i replaced the water pump im currently looking for a starter to find out if that really what it is . please let me know ift here is anything else i could do

Thanks

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

yeah i reread your post - the starter will turn easily when off the motor -i'm thinking you have a bad starter - always replace the solenoid when doing the starter - a slow starter will drop voltage at the solenoid and they start to fuse together inside solenoids are dirt cheap compared to teh starter .