1986 Mercury 35hp Autopsy

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I purchased two of these twin cylinder 35 Mercs from a local marina that had taken them in on new motors. One had spun a bearing on the rod to crank journal. The other had overheated bad enough to scuff up the piston and stick the rings. I am hoping to get one good motor from the two, but I always like to find out WHY a motor died when I get into one. When I had pulled the lower unit on the overheated motor, the water pump impeller looked fine, no apparent wear and had not taken much of a set. No apparent blockages in the block or water jacket, either.

I moved the now bare mid-section and noticed a clanking sound from within. The water tube seemed loose. Further investigation revealed the upper water tube inlet was missing one of it's two bolts and the other was loose, allowing the water tube to move about, and certainly not offering much of a seal against the exhaust adapter plate. Just something to look for if you have a motor that's not pumping much water after you've replaced the impeller...

Attachments

• photo244058.jpg
    photo244058.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0