1986 Merc 50 h.p. No top end

yoba439

Cadet
Ser# 6539486 Comp.Test 120-128 on all cyl. Brand new parts installed= CDi stator,CDI trigger,CDI switch box,new rectifier,re-built both carbs with kits and blew out all orfices.Did clams lick and sync.4 new BUHW NGK plugs.Not wires though.Put timing light on all wires and lights on each wire ok.Have not checked reeds. Problem is rough idle by engine shaking. Have adjusted carbs in lake while running.Throw the thottle up and motor just boggs and will not wind up to top RPM. Have it on 20 ft pontoon. Starts perfect and does not die when trolling or putting onto gear.I did the seafoam thing also.I have the Stevens DVA meter and stator puts out over 200 v on low side and about 45 v on high side.I did notice out of the four coils 3 are blue and says mercury on them and one is black colored and says seirra on it.The serria coil reads .3 to .6 ohms across the primarys on all coils but the blue coils reads 950 ohms across the secondarys except for the black coil it reads 593 ohms? From what I read they should read about 900-1200 ohms.When I pull the plugs after running they are wet with gas and don't appear to have any water on them.Prop is 11 1/4 X 14-G 13 spline. I am looking for a spare by the way. I did purchase a new spare coil identical to the other black serria one already on the #2 cyl. and put it on the bottom #4 cyl because that one had two cracks in the carbon thing when I pulled the rubber boot back.Motor still shakes at idle in test tank.I am going to replace the last two blue mercury coils also since this motor is so old.I don't mind putting the new parts in because its better then ruining a day on the lake just waiting on these old worn out parts to fail. I put a voltmeter in the dash with new deep cycle batt.It shows 16 V out put from stator which I understand is normal for this motor. So I run the fish finder and vhf radio to bring this voltage down in day time. I know there are many posibilities( un-seen bad wires) Bad new spark plug etc. But I am determined to get this thing running great with some top end speed. I will try new spark plugs. Are these solid copper plug wires for outboards known to burn into inside like auto carbon ones? Any opinions? Thanks

yoba439

Cadet
Re: 1986 Merc 50 h.p. No top end

By the way I also put in new fuel pump kits and new primer bulb with hose.Also new fuel tanks.

srussell28

Seaman
Re: 1986 Merc 50 h.p. No top end

Did you find out what it was>? I have the issue for a year now, also change all the parts you did, not the last part I ahve not changed, the trigger. I also have change the plug wires.