1986 Merc 35 Stalling Problem

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year I fogged my motor before pulling it out of the water for an extended period of time. Last month I started getting it ready to get back on the water. It quickly turned over and started, but stalled out after 5-10 seconds. It would fire right back up, but stall out the same way. I replaced the gas with fresh gas with no difference. I thought it may be the primer bulb, so I replaced that but still same results.<br /><br />This weekend, I removed and tore down the carb. I purchased a carb repair kit and used some of the parts that were in it. After removing a bit of crud and putting back together it still does the same thing. I messed around with the float levers and float valve since that was one of the few things that could be adjusted. I put it back together but didn't get the float quite right. The motor ran like normal, but gas was leaking from the front of the carb. After readjusting the float levers again, it did not leak gas, but went back to stalling out.<br /><br />It seems like it is starving for gas. If I choke it a bit after it starts I can keep it running longer. The primer bulb stays firm and pumping it does not make a difference.<br /><br />Any suggestions on what to look at before throwing in the towel and taking it to a shop?

NathanY

Commander
Re: 1986 Merc 35 Stalling Problem

I would say that you still have a problem in the carb somewhere. Did you use a dip or a spray cleaner? Spray cleaners really dont do any good.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used sea foam deep creep and blew it out with compressed air. I'll tear it down again and see what I can find.<br /><br />Anyone have any tips for adjusting the float levers or that dang little spring on the float. I followed the manual, but am not very confident I got it right.

KCLOST

Commander

Fuel starvation, somehow... Carbs should be eliminated first, then fuel pump/hoses etc...

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: Got the boat back from the shop today. They found a cracked jet (I think he said jet) that is pressed into the carb. They could not repair it either. They replaced with a reconditioned one they had in the shop and they said it ran great. I will hopefully get it back in the water this weekend to see for myself.