1986 Johnson Stalling.....free beer!

cjmahm

Cadet
Just Kidding about the beer, but got you to look :)

Last year I bought a nice new boat (to me) boat that has a 1986 Johnson 110 VRO on it. I have recently started to have stalling issues with it. The first bouts with stalling came on when I had run quite a while and was returning to the dock to trailer up. On low idle it will just cut off, forcing a quick restart infront of the crowds of others waiting to load, and hoping I can keep refiring quick enough so as to avoid any collisions.

The more recent problem has been stalling out at WOT. This happened the last two trips out and both times were rectified by having the bulb squeezed to get fuel accepted by the motor. Today I had my 10 year old pump the bulb and we were able to nurse her home at barely half throttle. Bring her home and hook up the muffs and she fires back up.

This is what has been done so far this year. New plugs, new fuel lines under the cowling, compression checked out okay (can't remember the numbers), carbs rebuilt, new fuel/water separator, new fuel line/bulb assembly and several grey hairs.

What I am currently thinking is a fuel delivery issue so I am looking at the gas tank and the lines from that to above deck, as well as the fuel pump. I am planning on trying to borrow a portable gas tank from someone to try and rule out the tank and line being an issue.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions or other things I should be looking at would be great. Thanks.

Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Johnson Stalling.....free beer!

pumping the bulb indicates these.

weak or failing fuel pump.
clogged screen on fuel tank pickup tube.
air leak in fuel line between tank, and fuel pump.

ship beer to Florida.

cjmahm

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know I am on the right track. I am going to try to get to the gas tank today and the fuel and vent lines running from that. The tank is permanently mounted below the deck and is an original metal tank (1986). Is the screen usually mounted somewhere between the actual tank and the fuel line going to the motor?

I have also heard of problems with anit-siphon valves, so I will check to see that if that might be an issue too.

Thanks again for the info!

cjmahm

Cadet

Borrowed a neighbors portable tank, and went out the other day. Initially ran great for about 30 mins. Then, same thing.....just acted like it ran out of gas and died. Disconnected main tank and hooked up portable. Floated and tried starting for a few minutes while pumping the bulb and could never get her cranked. Switched back to original and pumped bulb and tried a few more minutes and she came back to life. Managed to cruise at just below planing speed about 20 minutes back to dock, while someone pumped the bulb occasionally.

New fuel pump has been ordered. Hope that does the trick.