1986 Johnson Sailmaster Primer Question

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1986 8HP Johnson Sailmaster J8SRLCDE. I have been trying to get this one running for awhile. It had no fire when I purchased it but I have finally figured that out. Now I am having trouble starting it. I tried to use the primer and it squirts/leaks gas from the front. I disassembled the primer and it seems to be missing the forward-most O ring, which would explain the leak. Looking for a cheaper fix than ordering a $10 O ring I picked up a few from the hardware store to try. I am almost at the point of going back and ordering the part but I will still need to know where the O ring should be when assembling the primer. Looking at the exploded parts diagram, I really can't tell where it should sit.

Can anyone tell me where it should be? [h=1][/h]

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There are several O-rings. Its been awhile since I had one of those little ones apart but I think the all sit in grooves or recessed areas.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah. Several O rings. The one I am having an issue with is #5. I cannot tell exactly where is is supposed to be.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep. Exactly. It should be on it somewhere. Looking at it again, it must be before where the clip, #10, is inserted or there would be no way to keep it from leaking. I hate buying a 35 cent O ring for 10 dollars but it may be the best bet as I have been sort of guessing on the size.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cheapest I could find it was a little over $10 shipped. It turns out that the O-Ring is same size as the .48 cent one but I still cannot get it to work.

Looking at the diagram it looks like there is another piece in the primer I am working on. I donno. Its a hard little plastic ring that encircles the inboard side of part #9. I am going to remove it, since it is not on the chart and see if I can get a seal. It fits perfectly around #9 and is keeping the whole deal from compressing enough to install the retainer clip.

Edit: That was it. The little plastic ring isn't supposed to be in there I guess. With it out of the way I was able to install the O-Ring (Maybe I should have kept the $10 one and installed the .48 cent one from the hardware store just in case I needed to show off high dollar O-Rings sometime in the future.) with no problem and get everything to clip together. It is now pumping gas as it is supposed to and the little motor fired right up. A happy moment after a long unproductive day of fooling with Mercury motors.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Cheapest I could find it was a little over $10 shipped. It turns out that the O-Ring is same size as the .48 cent one but I still cannot get it to work.

Looking at the diagram it looks like there is another piece in the primer I am working on. I donno. Its a hard little plastic ring that encircles the inboard side of part #9. I am going to remove it, since it is not on the chart and see if I can get a seal. It fits perfectly around #9 and is keeping the whole deal from compressing enough to install the retainer clip.

Edit: That was it. The little plastic ring isn't supposed to be in there I guess. With it out of the way I was able to install the O-Ring (Maybe I should have kept the $10 one and installed the .48 cent one from the hardware store just in case I needed to show off high dollar O-Rings sometime in the future.) with no problem and get everything to clip together. It is now pumping gas as it is supposed to and the little motor fired right up. A happy moment after a long unproductive day of fooling with Mercury motors.
Perhaps the hard plastic ring was an old hardened O ring......... Maybe someone in the past fitted a cheap O ring from a hardware store that was the wrong material which went hard when soaked in gasoline. What's Ok for water is not necessarily good with gas!