1986 Johnson 90 V4 battery question...

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice
Hello
I have a 1986 Johnson 90 hp V4 - "Great motor:)". Enginenumber BJ90TLCDC. The problem is that the battery is dead and i can't see any label on it. I have talked to some outboard shops and they all say something different about what kind of battery i shall get. So therefore i hope to get some help before i buy one. The thing i am going to use the battery for is starting, i don't have any electric thing in the boat. I have the manual and i can't find any things about the battery.
Hope anyone can help me...
Jannik

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Johnson 90 V4 battery question...

Simply get a good quality automotive 12 volt battery that will fit properly in your battery box.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick answer. What about some of the Marine batterys what is the differens?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It costs no more for a group size 24 battery with 600 CCA than it does for a smaller battery. My feeling is if the starting battery is the only battery in the boat, get the largest capacity (not necessarily the largest physical size) battery you can affort and that will fit in the available space. You cannot have too much power, just too little. Buy your battery from one of the auto stores, or if you have a farm supply store in your area, try them. $50 bucks give or take a little will get you 700 cca battery.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the quick answer. What about some of the Marine batterys what is the differens?

Marine cranking battery is (theoretically) built tougher, with thicker plates & stronger case, to withstand the pounding it'll get being in a boat instead of a car. the noticeable difference is, in addition to the regular battery posts it has studs & wingnuts for accessories. They also seem to have an additional rating which you don't see on car batteries: MCA (marine cranking amps); CCA (cold cranking amps) is measured at 0? F, MCA is measured at 32?F.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again - i will go to the local auto store a order a new battery.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory specifies a minimum of 360 cranking amps with a 115 minute reserve. That's a small battery. Most marine starting batteries are nearly double that and probably a better capacity size, esp if you have a radio and fishfinders, etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't have a WalMart or Sam's Club in your area? You will likely pay more at an auto store than any discount or farm store.