1986 GMC 350 OMC weird heating issue

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
I had just rebuilt the OMC upper gearcase since it had locked up due to improper greasing of the housing. This is a boat I help fix with my father. Of course it has been greased properly this time. After it was greased before, it ran for about five minutes and the upper gearcase bearing locked up. It locked up at about 2500 RPM's and even twisted the threads on the outdrive shaft and had to be replaced. However when it locked up, he said he pulled the engine cover open and noticed after the sudden lockup that the engines, intake manifold was spoking alot right over the middle to section of the manifold. He immedietly (mispeled) looked at the engine temp and the oil level. Temp was in the 160's and the oil level didn't show oil. At first he was alarmed by the oil level. Rechecked again and had just a little on the stick. I kinda thought maybe at first may the heads had some sludge in them and caused the oil to slowly run back down to the pan but wasn't the case. N E ways after rebuilding the drive and running the boat today we took off across the lake slowly speeding up to just under WOT and I thought I was smelling something burning. I figured I was wrong since I had wind in my face and the engine is behind us. I opened the engine compartment and again it seemed very hot in the center of the manifold on both sides of the carb. There is a little junk around that area on both sides thing maybe it was coming from the lines from the outhose from the valve covers that are sent back to the breather. It's old though. Checked the engine temp and again in the 160's. We ran it few more times to diagnose it a little more and one time at a fast idle ingear I open the engine again after running almost WOT and it sounded like a lifter tapping. Cut the throttle to idle and NET and it stop right away and again smoking in the center of the manifold on the sides and middle. Engine is again 160's. Checked the oil and its fine. What suggestiosn would anyone have and do I have a problem or is it something that needs to be burned off the manifold? This never seemed to be a problem before the lockup of the upperhear case on the outdrive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 GMC 350 OMC weird heating issue

OMC upper gearcase since it had locked up due to improper greasing of the housing.

Is this a Stringer or a Cobra drive?

Don S

When was the last time the raw water pump impeller was changed? Or the manifolds or risers checked for being plugged?

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Impeler We just replaced since I was in the stern NE how when I rebuilt the upper case I did that just to knock it out. Far as the risers, that I wouldn't be able to say for sure. before the lockup less than 30 days no problems that we knew of. However wouldn't the temp gauge show over heating and what about the tapping that was there for a sec? If there was blockage wouldn't that appear on the temp guage since the cooling system would be restricted in that area. I just want to make sure also that the lockup couldn't have caused other damage.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

There's an Exhaust passage from side to side in the middle of the Intake Manifold,......
That causes the paint to burn off there....

It Sounds like your's is possibly Plugged.....

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

You know I thought I heard a slight exhaust leak. I guess its possible what I thought that like a lifter tapping there for a second was actually the exhaust leaking. Also with a problem such as that wouldn't reflect on the temp guage?

Bondo

Staff member

Also with a problem such as that wouldn't reflect on the temp guage?

Nope,..... It's an Exhaust Passage,...... It's got absolutely Nothing to do with the Cooling System.....

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

When removing the risers's, can they just be flushed or should something else be done to them? Or shall I ask whats the best procedure to clear this problem? Flush risers, make sure intake is clear, replace gaskets? anything else?

Don S

If the risers and manifolds are plugged up, replace them. Being plugged up is your warning that the next step is water in your cylinders. Which can and will cost you an engine.