1986 Evinrude 50 HP tilt/trim question

jnaarnold

Seaman
The tilt/trim on my 50 works, but intermittently. If I push on the motor, it will speed up or slow down, sometimes cutting off completely. Can these motors be serviced? I can't seem to get the screws out, the are frozen solid. I am afraid I am going to break them. Any suggestions?
John

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Evinrude 50 HP tilt/trim question

a good electrical motor shop should be able to rebuild,but for the $ it might be better to just get another one,I think they r avail. on iboats.as for the screws,use some heat on the housing where they screw into,you might want some lit tapping with hammer too to break it free,take the smallest of turns possible.a bit one way then the other once it begins to free,you might cook the oring that seals the tnt motor,but a new one should be supplied with new,or you can purchase ,often large oring selections at a good harware will have them,I use mapp gas with one of those quick liting trigger torch tips,propane dont get hot enough,you kinda got to feel through the process,patience is a must,should a screw break,you may be lucky and a stub will remain allowing use of vice grips,if not its a drill and tap job,use cobolt drill bits,start small going up to just smaller than dia of screw,your last hole ,if possible,drilled with a left hand drill bit(great trick)often removes most of the material as it drills,if done right the oridginal threads are left fine,just chase the threads with a tap