1986 Evinrude 4HP water pump

Jenan

Cadet
Posting this on behalf of my computer illiterate husband:

Would anyone be able to tell me how to split the motor in order to get at the water pump on a 1986 4HP Evinrude? I have undone 2 studs and it has come apart a little bit but not enough to see in it or to get at the water pump. I have done water pumps on other motors in the past but this one has me stumped!

thanks for reading.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1986 Evinrude 4HP water pump

Hi.
unscrew 4 bolts and pull down lower unit so you can take out lower unit with drive shaft.
unscrew 4 blots on water pump housing and putin new impeler.

Jenan

Cadet

Hi.
unscrew 4 bolts and pull down lower unit so you can take out lower unit with drive shaft.
unscrew 4 blots on water pump housing and putin new impeler.

Thanks for quick reply, but it's not as simple as that.

There are only 2 bolts holding the leg on this model.(AE4RCUD). The drive shaft could very possibly be corroded and doesn't want to come out of the power head. It's 25 years old and as far as I know has never been apart. How hard can I hit it? I'm doing this for a mate - if it was mine I'd give it a whack and see what happened but not sure how hard I can hit it. I've been tapping with a rubber mallet but it won't drop to undo the gear shift. This model has no reverse only neutral and forward.

Any ideas?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B... 1987/GEARCASE - 4RC & 4RLC MODELS/parts.html

in last year i bought this type of motor.i wanted to inspect the water pump.
lower unit is mounted to mid section by bolts nr 34.
i took them out but i couldnt take ot the drive shaft from upper part of engin.
it was stuck.
i pulled this preaty hard and i took out drive shaft from gearcase instead of upper part of engin.
i dont know how it happens becouse water pump impeler is holding by small round key.
ofcourse i didnt lost the key.
later on i had to pull out drive shaft from upper part of engin.
so, i unscrewed midsection from power head and apply some WD40 where drive shaft goes to powerhead and wait few days.
later on i slowly tap by hamer in this place where drive shaft goes in and it relased.

levi_tsk

Ensign

you took the shift linkage loose right?(pn#34 in this link http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B...987/MIDSECTION - 4RC & 4RLC MODELS/parts.html

also what raczek said and that oring on the top of the drive shft (pn#39 in raczak's link above) tends to get hard and not want to come out of the grove in the crankshaft mine needed a few love taps from a shot hammer to come free from the crankshaft but make sure the linkage is loose first

Jenan

Cadet

Thanks for all your help and big thanks for the link to the parts diagram; the problem is now solved. This is what I did:

The impellor was seized to the shaft and the shaft was also seized in the power head. I ended up hitting the gearbox housing with a piece of timber under the hammer, gave it a few sharp whacks and out it came. The gearshift in this motor, down the bottom where it fits in the gearbox, turns from side to side rather than lifting up and down to engage the gear, and the gearshift stays up in the motor and comes out of the gearbox.

Hope this makes sense to you!

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
while puting back all staf, be sure that you fit properly shift rod in gercase.this shift rod at the end looks like letter 4 or S(its not stright), and the end of this shift rod should fit in smal hole, located lower in gercase.
once i didnt put in this hole, thinking everything is ok, but runing motor there was no NEUTRAL, judt it was all the time in gear.
this hole was not pluged and whole of gercase oil was floating in the barel.

Jenan

Cadet

hi.
while puting back all staf, be sure that you fit properly shift rod in gercase.this shift rod at the end looks like letter 4 or S(its not stright), and the end of this shift rod should fit in smal hole, located lower in gercase.
once i didnt put in this hole, thinking everything is ok, but runing motor there was no NEUTRAL, judt it was all the time in gear.
this hole was not pluged and whole of gercase oil was floating in the barel.

Thanks for that - all good now.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

... and you greased the driveshaft splines during re-assembly?