1986 Evinrude 15hp Water Pump

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
This motor was running like crud after I ran a tank of bad gas through it (lesson learned) so I cleaned the carb and put it all back together. I fired it up and tested it in a trashcan and everything seemed great. About 20 minutes later I fired it up one more time for good measure and it wasn't peeing any water out of the exhaust while in nuetral. I quickly shut it down.

I ordered the water pump repair kit (oem). Today I took off the lower unit, removed the old impeller (which was a bit stiff, but overall in OK condition. I replaced all of the parts with the parts from the kit (including the housing) and everything appears to be put together properly. I made sure the key was the keyway and installed properly.

I've looked at it 3 times now and I can't for the life of me figure out why when I'm running the motor I'm not getting any pee out of the exhaust port. Is there a thermostat on this thing that could be stuck or does it only pee when it gets warm? I keep shutting down as soon as I start it and don't see the pee stream.

I really don't want to jack up this motor, but I can't believe that all of a sudden it's just not working, especially after performing the repair.

Does it ALWAYS pee?

Is it likely a t-stat kind of problem?

Whole things so damn simple I can't figure out WHAT could be wrong. Is there something else I should be looking for for sign of problems?

Oh, this is Model # E15RCDE

e10

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Evinrude 15hp Water Pump

First thing to do is make sure the water indicator pee hole is not plugged. Secondly start it up in your bucket (make sure water pump area is fully submerged) and hold your hand on the cyl head area to see if it's actually cooling or not. If it gets too hot to touch after a minute or so shut it down and start pulling things apart. If it is warm to touch (140* or so) then it is likely a plugged water indicator and you will have to remove the blockage.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. It's late now, but I'll check it out tomorrow. For some reason I was under the impression it used to pee out of the exhaust. I see the indicator and I'll see if it's clogged tomorrow AM. I know it was peeing previously, but didn't pay much attention to where it was peeing from. I'm just retarded thinking it was coming out of the exhaust I guess, but nonetheless, I've got a few things to check out tomorrow and that's a start. Hopefully the hole is just clogged and I can clean it out. I'm glad I did the impeller service though, it needed to be cleaned out and changed.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran the motor this morning for about a minute and half and it was barely warm to the touch. I tried sticking a wire up the indicator hole, but only about an inch or so. How far is necessary? I don't want to jam this thing up too far not knowing what else is up there.

I do get steam or exhaust smoke coming out of this indicator hole so I tend to think it's not clogged.

I watched that video and I see how he tested the lower unit, but how did he pump water up the water tube? Have to buy an electric submerisble pump or something? Seems like a feasible way to test that part of it.

jasper60103

Commander

I ran the motor this morning for about a minute and half and it was barely warm to the touch. I tried sticking a wire up the indicator hole, but only about an inch or so. How far is necessary? I don't want to jam this thing up too far not knowing what else is up there.

I do get steam or exhaust smoke coming out of this indicator hole so I tend to think it's not clogged.

I watched that video and I see how he tested the lower unit, but how did he pump water up the water tube? Have to buy an electric submerisble pump or something? Seems like a feasible way to test that part of it.

You can attach your garden hose to the water tube. I slid the hose over the tube and wrapped it with duct tape. It leaked of course, but it still worked. Be sure to keep the water at low pressure.

Also, you can disconnect the hose going to the indicator. That way you tell if the blockage is further up stream.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again everyone for the help. I was able to figure out what was wrong after following the advice here. I removed the LU and and placed it underwater and put the driveshaft in a drill motor. I rotated clockwise and no water. I took the water pump apart again and although I distinctly remember being very careful about getting the pin in the keyway, it wasn't there. I installed another pin and put it all back together and bam, we're peein' again. I took it out to the lake today and she's running like a champ.

Thanks again for all of the help. This little boat is going to make it.