1986 Evinrude 110hp Thermostat replacement procedures

santis5

Recruit
I have a 1986 Evinrude 110hp, E110MLCDC and can't find printed procedures for changing the thermostats. My Seloc manual does not even mention the process. I have many years experience on I.O boats but this is my first outboard. I'm sure I could figure it out but does anyone have the procedures? I saw a post that mentioned drilling holes in the lower cover and I also see the need to do that to get at the lower bolts but is there no other way?

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: 1986 Evinrude 110hp Thermostat replacement procedures

you can lift the powerhead.
that will give you all the acces to change the tstats.

if you dont feel happy about that, give all the other methods a try.

its a pain.

santis5

Recruit

I won't be lifting it but I'll get those buggers changed!!!! Anyone else though???

I have the same motor and just changed thermostats myself. I took the exhaust housing cover off and was able to get the two bottom bolts out of the housing from underneath the lower engine cover. Was not much fun, but I eventually got it done.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The V4 bubble back thermostat housings are a bear to work on. You can remove both front and back lower cowling covers, then unbolt/loosen the lower cowling tray. You may be able to push it down enough in back to get enough clearance to work on it.