1986 Evin V6-150 Tight Steering

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive been off the board for a while, but im back with a quick question.<br /><br />My engine, trim, tilt, all works great so I dont want to mess with the engine too much. However, after a long winter of sitting, my outboard is tight in the steering...<br /><br />Not at the helm, and not at the teleflex end (I put an accordian type boot on there last year to keep it well lubed and free of salt water). I believe its tight in the main swivel bracket. Any tips on lubing and freeing up the shaft? It moves slightly but pretty tight.<br /><br />Thanks in advance! Everyone here has always been so helpful!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Evin V6-150 Tight Steering

Best thing to do is pull the steering cable out of the tilt tube and clean the tube out with a brush. Clean the ram end of the steering cable real good, grease the heck out of all of it and put it back together.<br /><br />You may want to try the steering with the steering cable pulled from the tube....just to make sure it's not really the cabe.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the confusion, but it is definitely not the cable at all... but somewhere in the transom bracket hinge. I noticed there is a grease fitting on the bracket itself down by the hydralic pump, but i do not think that adding a bit of grease would fix this tightness.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your swivel bracket may need lube. There is a grease zurk on the swivel bracket. Should be greased at least annually. Greasing here forces grease into both the upper and lower swivel bracket bearings. Grease should be pumped till it comes out of both the upper and lower bearings. You should use a good waterproof grease, like the OMC Triple Guard. If lubing does not take care of it, you may need to diassemble to look for what is binding.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I misunderstood TopNotch. But emdsapmgr is correct. Shoot that zurk until new grease spurts out the top of the swivel braket. Might do wonders..... :)

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks guys... Anyone know if taking the swivel bracket apart is difficult/PITA? <br /><br />(I guess thats a tough question to answer, not knowing ones abilities)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

PITA doesn't come close. If you can disconnect the steering, and have someone work the motor back and forth while you try to pump grease in there, you might be able to free it.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well its not seized up, so Im not that far off.. gonna go with the old PB Blaster first, then finish it off with a load of Marine grease... we shall see! Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck, season's too short as it is.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you will find the grease will only come out the bottom, always does! you will need to heat it up with oxy, then grease and move back and forth, then when that does not work pull it to bits and fix it.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I heated it up... Added grease, worked it in, added grease, worked it in, added grease. Definitely made it better, but my while disconnecting the gun, it took the grease fitting(zurk) with it... augh.