1986 DT-85 stalling when going into gear

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Let me give some history on this boat/engine. I just bought it , it's been sitting for over 4 years. The seller told me that it needed carb work since he couldn't start it. today, I found out why. The choke on the bottom carb was frozen solid. After some judicious spraying of Kroil and Deep Creep, I got it freed up. We got the engine running and idling nicely. I ran it for about 1/2 hour on the muffs. It revs freely in neutral, and idles pretty good, if not a bit slow.

Tonight we took it to the lake hoping to see how it runs. It started ok, idles good and revs in neutral. The second that I put it into either forward or reverse, it sputters and stalls. I warmed it up for about 10 minutes, reved it in neutral, and put it into gear when the revs dropped and throttled it. It strated to take off then bogged and died.

Am I going to have to take the carbs off and go through them?? I had been running some Seafoam in the mixture hoping it might take care of any such problems, but I guess snake oil can't cure everything !! Any suggestios will be appreciated.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 DT-85 stalling when going into gear

I took the carbs off today and went through them. Unfortunately, I didn't really see anything horrible. The floats were in spec and there was very little residue in the bowls. I went through all the motions anyways since I had them off. The only thing that I did find was that the idle air jet adjustments were different from specs on all 3 carbs. The specs for a 1986 calls for 1 1/2 turns. The bottom carb was 1 1/4, middle was 2 , and the top carb was 1 3/4 turns.
Personally, I don't see this as being off enough to cause the problem.

If this doesn't fix it, where should I look next ?? I won't be able to take it to the water until Monday night.

Any thoughts ?????

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

EDIT: Duplicate post

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you look very closely at the needle/seat. Does the needle "drop" down out of the seat without "sticking"? That residue you are speaking of can get into the passages of the metring and other devices. Looking just at the bowls may not give you the whole picture of what lies in the passages.
Have you checked the fuel itself ? Was the fuel tank checked for water, bad fuel, or residue?
Asume you cleaned or replaced the the fuel filter?
Check the fuel line quick connect at the motor, fitting could be sucking air as they tend to get loose due to the small "O" ring gets hard or wears out.
Does the primer fuel bulb stay hard when the motor stalls and shuts off?
Good luck

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you look very closely at the needle/seat. Does the needle "drop" down out of the seat without "sticking"? That residue you are speaking of can get into the passages of the metring and other devices. Looking just at the bowls may not give you the whole picture of what lies in the passages.
Have you checked the fuel itself ? Was the fuel tank checked for water, bad fuel, or residue?
Asume you cleaned or replaced the the fuel filter?
Check the fuel line quick connect at the motor, fitting could be sucking air as they tend to get loose due to the small "O" ring gets hard or wears out.
Does the primer fuel bulb stay hard when the motor stalls and shuts off?
Good luck

Before I even fired it up, I replaced the water separator filter. I disconnected the in-hull tank since the fuel was a known 4 years old. I connected a portable tank with fresh 89 octane fuel and 50:1 mix with Seafoam added at 1oz per gallon of fuel. I also replaced the fuel strainer on the motor and rebuilt the fuel pump. I'm not using any Suzuki fuel line fittings, I'm connected straight to the separator with hose and clamp. The needles were all clean and working nicely. I blew out all passages, but as stated did not find any jets or passages clogged. Granted, I haven't tried it again , but I just don't feel that what I saw in the carbs could have caused the problem that I encountered. I think I will have a look at the static timing/synchonization before I put it back into the water.