1986 9.9 Evinrude won't wind up?

1970Mach1

Seaman
I can't get my 86 9.9 to wind up, idles good. Checked spark an it seems to have great spark, cleaned carb as well but no results. Being that it's electronic Ignition I'm lost at what to do. I'm going to try a carb from a 74 9.9 to see if that changes anything, but I'm thinking it's in the ignition. Any sugestions? Thanks

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1986 9.9 Evinrude won't wind up?

when you put boat on the lake:
1. take of the cover
2.put forward gear and seat in secure position with lanyard on hand
3.advence trotle in half range
4.using a finger or screvdriver advence carb acceleration roler and look what happens,
engin should accelerate even if ignition is NOT advenced.
if accelerate that means carb is ok
is is going to die that means high speed circuit is blocked
sometimes the ignition flat accelerator that links with carb arm roler should be adjust usind smal imbus key

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Test your compression first then spark to see if it's firing on both cylinders.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had bad head gasket and wraped head cover,and engin was caffing even at the idle

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

clogged high speed jet. did you remove and clean it? have you changed to, alcohol resistant fuel lines, carb to tank. cleaned fuel filter.

1970Mach1

Seaman

Well I tried a different working carb an it did not change a thing. It has a new fuel pump an clean screen. When you try to wind it up it shakes pretty bad. Has 120 psi in to an 130 psi in bottom. When I take the plugs out the bottom burns good the top is wet. Has spark on both but seems the top is not firing. I've checked spark wile moving the throttle an they both seem to spark fine. Any suggestions?

1970Mach1

Seaman

when you put boat on the lake:
1. take of the cover
2.put forward gear and seat in secure position with lanyard on hand
3.advence trotle in half range
4.using a finger or screvdriver advence carb acceleration roler and look what happens,
engin should accelerate even if ignition is NOT advenced.
if accelerate that means carb is ok
is is going to die that means high speed circuit is blocked
sometimes the ignition flat accelerator that links with carb arm roler should be adjust usind smal imbus key

Moving roler does the same thing

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have a pulse type fuel pump, is it driven off of the top cylinder? Maybe you have a fuel pump leaking fuel into the top cylinder.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a reed problem, exact same symptom my 15 had. Had spark, compression but wouldn't fire on one cylinder and didn't spit gas out the carb. Found a zip tie stuck in the reed plate.

1970Mach1

Seaman

Took reed off it looked fine to me. Had fuel pump off an it don't seem to be leaking.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try checking the coil or spark plug wire on the cylinder that is wet. My Merc did that.... it was a bad (leaking) spark plug wire.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Try hooking a timing light up to the top wire and moving the inductive lead close to the spark plug, look for a misfire.

1970Mach1

Seaman

Ok I put different plug wires on an still the same. I hooked timing light up an the bottom looks fine but the top misses then picks up. I also swapped coils but only does it to the top cylinder. Can I assume it's this CD2 box? Or something else?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Triggers controls the powerpack to tell it when to spark, powerpack fires the coils. Either the powerpack is going bad or you have a bad connector/wire between the powerpack and the trigger or the powerpack and the coils. IF the trigger were bad if would be across the board, no spark or erratic on both cylinders, at least that's my logic. Test the powerpack and see what the readings are with a DVA.

1970Mach1

Seaman

This is where Iam lost, I don't know how to check that stuff. If it were points an condensor I'd have it running by now.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I think you are at the point where you need an OEM manual, it will help you check out your system and you can repair it properly. Check with your library and see if they have any manuals available.