1986 85hp Tilt/Trim?

Bissen

Cadet
I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri 1600 Cuddy. I am trying to figure out if I have tilt/trim or just tilt. The PO rewired the dash and put one switch for the tilt/trim. Is there supposed to be two switches, one switch for the tilt and a separate switch for the trim, or is there supposed to be one for tilt/trim? I have three lines coming out of the motor one to the top of the ram and one to the bottom. A third (the black one) going to something (what is it?). Here are some pics of my tilt/trim unit. I removed the right ram to rebuild it.

Attachments

• IMG00059-20100301-1532.jpg
    IMG00059-20100301-1532.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00057-20100301-1531.jpg
    IMG00057-20100301-1531.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 85hp Tilt/Trim?

What you have is half the system. The trim is missing.The motor looks like it will operate the whole system if it was there.J

Bissen

Cadet

Thank you. Do you know what else I would need to make this a trim unit?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

See the black hydraulic hose? That is the tilt lock release. That unit is a tilt only assembly. Unless the pump is drilled for hydraulic lines and plugged, it can not be converted to tilt/trim.

Additionally, you are missing the tilt cylinder (oops---you are rebuilding it.AND the 1/2 inch thrust bar which goes through one set of the four holes in the mounting clamps.

As it stands now, the engine will be tilted in too far to run correctly. Get a nice hunk of 1/2 diameter stainless about 13 inches long . Start with it in the third hole out. That is usually close to correct running position.

If you really want or need tilt/trim, then you are best off buying a whole assembly.

Bissen

Cadet

Thank you Frank, one more question. What exactly is the tilt lock release?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The bent plate that the end of the hose is attached to is the tilt lock. This plate is spring loaded and snaps down over the 1/2 diameter tilt/thrust pin which you are missing. It keeps the engine from kicking up under hard de-acceleration. However, the tilt cylinder does not have enough power to overcome the spring loaded plate and the black hose and small cylinder push up the plate to clear the tilt pin when you activate the up switch.

AND: The tilt cylinder can not maintain engine position at much more than 1000-1200 RPM. So, if you are going slow in shallow water, you can tilt the engine up some for clearance, but if you throttle up, the engine WILL slam back down.

RRitt

Captain

Thank you. Do you know what else I would need to make this a trim unit?

count the ports available from pump. If three then your valve body would need to be replaced with a four port version. I suspect it is since you have the limit switch. The limit switch was common on power tilt but not so much on power trim/tilt.

Once you have a four port pump then all you need is a trim cylinder and a pair of tubes. Everything else is the same. The trim cylinder fits around your existing shock and tilt rams.

If you can't find the tubes then just bend new ones from 3/16 CuNi 9010 tubing with brass tube nuts. Mercedes and Volvo use Cuni so a lot of brake shops will have it on hand. It also goes by trade domestic trade name BrakeQuip EasyBend.

All things considered ... it might be better to look for whole trim/tilt rather than just a trim cylinder. They are NLA and anybody selling a good one a la carte will want small fortune.