1986 40 hp Evinrude starts, runs, dies

Leahcim

Cadet
Model E40ELCDE, electric start, remote controls

The motor starts right up, purrs like kitten for 10 to 15 seconds and then dies. Regardless of fast idle lever position.

New gas tank, fuel line, squeeze ball, and fuel line fittings. All good, the right parts (Moeller), no leaks, tight fits.

Here's a key piece of info: I can keep the motor running by a simple quick press of the choke when it starts to die. I've ran it for over 5 minutes doing that.

More info. This didn't start happening until I started using the new tank and fuel line, cause and effect or coincidence, I don't know. I don't have the old parts, they're gone.

Also, it lied on its side, on the ground, wrapped in an old blanket for a month before I remounted the motor and bought the new stuff.

Ideas???

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 40 hp Evinrude starts, runs, dies

Sounds like the fuel line or possibly the tank. Make sure the tank breather is open or you will create a vacuum that will stall the engine. Try squeezing the squeeze ball while it is running. And laying it on it's side for a month is not likely to cause any serious damage. I don't recommend it though. Best to store motors upright.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you have a restriction in the low speed circut of the carb. When was the last time it was overhauled?

Leahcim

Cadet

Guess I need a general troubleshooting procedure. Unfortunately I'm far from any mechanic and in a place (Baja California, Mex) where parts are hard to come by. Damn, I have a 3 month RV/trailering trip 650 miles down the peninsula to the Sea of Cortez starting in a couple of weeks. Need to get this fixed.

Don't know the last time it was overhauled. I bought the motor two months ago, it ran fine, took it off the transom to paint the boat, added new fuel tank, etc., now this.

fireman57

Captain

cleaning carbs is easy. Just take them off and remove the bowl. It's only four screws. Take a piece of fine wire and run it in and out of the carb jets. You will see them as a they are brass, nice and shiny gold colored. Spray the holes out liberally with carb cleaner, reassemble and try it out. Are you sure that you have the arrow on the squeeze ball pointing toward the engine?

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

cleaning carbs is easy. Just take them off and remove the bowl. It's only four screws. Take a piece of fine wire and run it in and out of the carb jets. You will see them as a they are brass, nice and shiny gold colored. Spray the holes out liberally with carb cleaner, reassemble and try it out. Are you sure that you have the arrow on the squeeze ball pointing toward the engine?

NEVER FORGET,....9-11-01 ,........Local 1 elevator constructor Chuck Costello ,....we miss you dearly ,...God Bless America...

Leahcim

Cadet

Yes the squeeze ball is installed correctly. I'm suspicious of that though because it didn't feel right the first time I pumped it. It seemed to take a long time (many squeezes) to get hard. But the whole system was dry. Plus, after I run it for a while, continually goosing the choke, the squeeze ball is soft. Is that normal? How can I check that it is working correctly?

Also, I thought maybe the gas tank vent was defective so I removed the cap. No difference. Another possibility is that new parts (tank, squeeze ball, fuel line, connectors) had some small pieces of foreign material in them that is blocking the fuel flow.

I don't want to take the carbs off until I eliminate the possibility the problem is before the carbs - tank, squeeze ball, fuel pump. After I'm convinced those are OK, I'll dig into the carbs.

Sure like to have a step-by-step troubleshooting procedure taking me from the tank to the carbs.

Appreciate the help guys, I'm running solo here in Mex. My Spanish sucks, assuming I could find a mechanic.

Leahcim

Cadet

Sounds like you have a restriction in the low speed circut of the carb. When was the last time it was overhauled?

Don't know what you're talking about ("low speed circuit"). What is it and how would I know it has a problem.

fireman57

Captain

the ball will go soft once it is running because the fuel pump takes over. If you have to keep hitting the choke you have to clean the carbs. From the tank to the fuel pump make sure that you use real clamps not the plastic ties, they seem to always leak.

Leahcim

Cadet

Very pricey stainless steel hose clamps.

Oh well, sounds like I have an interesting project for the day. It's before 7 AM here.

Appreciate the replies. Dogs are barking, gotta go. Hope to see the definitive solution when I return. 8^)

fireman57

Captain

If I was on salt water like you are I would want to have everything made of stainless that I could get. The low speed circuit is just your low speed jet. It is in the bottom of your carb behind the drain screw when you remove the bowl. Let us know.

Leahcim

Cadet

Looking at the motor from the front, on the left side there is a small red lever that can be moved to different positions. It's on a component that has a fuel line going to it (I think, tough to see) after the line splits into three lines between the fuel pump and the carbs. I think it's used when manually starting the motor with a rope, but I'm not sure. What does that do and what position should it be in for normal electric start operation?

Leahcim

Cadet

Found the answer to the "red lever" question (above) in another thread.

Leahcim

Cadet

I replaced the plastic "tie wrap" fuel line "clamps" under the motor cover with regular screw type hose clamps. Three places, into the fuel pump, out of the fuel pump and at the connector that splits the fuel line into 3 smaller hoses, one to each carb and one to the primer solenoid. Took off the fuel pump cover that contains the filter screen, it's clean. Also took off the air intake box and noticed that on one of the carbs, the drain screw at the bottom front was leaking gas a bit, tightened both drain screws. No more leaks.

The motor now starts easier and runs twice as long before it dies. But it still dies, even at fast idle.

So I'm up to the carbs. I think the fuel system before the carbs is in A-1 condition. Air tight and no obstructions.

What can I do short of taking off the carbs and rebuilding them? I have a problem getting a rebuilding kit here in Mexico. Carburetor cleaner spray? If so where? Into the thorat and through the drain holes? Sea Foam, a gas additive I think, has been recommended, but I can't find any around here.

If I do take the carbs apart can I reassemble them with no new parts/gaskets and expect them to work. On the outside they are really clean and the gaskets appear to be relatively new.

I can make an international long drive trip across the world's busiest border crossing to San Diego to buy parts, but as you can imagine it's a GIANT hassle.

Also, looking at this diagram

http: // www. boats. net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1986/E40ELCDE/CARBURETOR/parts.html

copy and paste, take out spaces

if there is an obstruction, where would it be, what part number would be clogged?

Leahcim

Cadet

I think I have found the problem. After replacing fuel line clamps and tightening the carb bowls drain screws I was able to get the motor running for maybe a minute before dying and indefinitely by goosing the choke. While it was running, with the air intake box completely off, I noticed a very fine stream of fuel spritzing intermittently out of the holes in which are the recessed air/fuel mixture screws. Looks like the parts those screws screw into need to be replaced. A friend told me that they screw into small plastic parts that are part of the rebuilt kits. I'm going to get two rebuild kits and rebuild the carbs.

Sound reasonable?

fireman57

Captain

yep, back to the original suggestion of cleaning or rebuilding the carbs.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for posting this. I've got an '89 40VRO doing exactly the same thing as you describe. I followed these steps and have arrived at the same situation; Will run for quite a while if I keep tapping the primer but it just will not idle on it's own (high or low).

I guess I've got tomorrows project figured out. Off to try and find a blow up diagram.

Leahcim

Cadet

yep, back to the original suggestion of cleaning or rebuilding the carbs.

Yes, exactly. And now I know I need to and know why I need to. If I hadn't been methodical about this it probably would not run well after the rebuild because of the several small air leaks into the fuel line I found.

I'm new to this. Because I live where mechanics and parts are difficult to come by, I'm determined to become my own mechanic.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post after I go to the US, get the parts, and rebuild the carbs. Noltz, good luck. Let us know what happens.

fireman57

Captain

You can order the parts right here and have them shipped in no time.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, exactly. And now I know I need to and know why I need to. If I hadn't been methodical about this it probably would not run well after the rebuild because of the several small air leaks into the fuel line I found.

I'm new to this. Because I live where mechanics and parts are difficult to come by, I'm determined to become my own mechanic.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post after I go to the US, get the parts, and rebuild the carbs. Noltz, good luck. Let us know what happens.

I pulled my carbs off today and found the old fuel had turned to varnish in the bottom of the bowl. The idle circuit draws through a small passage in the bottom of the bowl and it was plugged. I removed the bowl, removed the drain bolt, and used a piece of copper wire (removed 1 strand from some automotive wire) and hogged out the passage way until I could see the wire pass through. Blew it out by mouth, and reassembled. No parts were required other than the copper wire, took about 90 minutes to do both carbs. Shes running well, idle and off idle.

I'm writing this here to suggest Leahcim do the same. I didn't need any parts, and you may not either. Oh, when you're putting it back together, make sure you put them back in the correct spot. The throttle roller cam is only on 1 carb, and it needs to go on the bottom. I laughed out loud when walked around the other side and realized what I had done!

Good luck!