1986 290 DP tilt issues

Andrew S

Recruit
I have 1986 Bayliner Contessa with (what I believe is) an early 290 DP as it has the worm drive tilt as opposed to the hydraulic. The tilt failed and I got the motor running again after I located a blown inline fuse. HOWEVER, now the tilt works but does not want to raise the drive all the way up. I suspect a problem with the gear, maybe causing the blown fuse in the first place.

Thoughts on where I can come up with a service manual for this sterndrive?

It seems like most of the 290 DP have hydraulic tilt, which is why I suspect it is maybe first gen 290 DP. One manual I was able to find shows what looks suspiciously like the mechnism on my boat on a 280, but so far as I can tell they never made a 280 DP.

(http://www.marinesurveyorontario.com/volvo penta workshop manual.pdf)

And for the icing on the cake some kind soul defaced the name plate. SO far I haven't been able to find a reliable place to search part #'s.

Advice?

Attachments

• photo335685.jpg
    photo335685.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
The 280 tilt system is the same as the one you have. If you lift up on the drive to help the tilt system does it then go all the way up?

Andrew S

Recruit
I think my sterndrive is actually a DP-A or something closer to that. I did manage to fix the problem, I had an issue with the limit switch which was easily remedied (bonehead on my part, haha).

Any ideas of a good place to look online which can tell me in based on serial # for an 1986 sterndrive?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like it’s not a DPA. I think they were out probably early 90’s from memory. The only gear looking thing external to the 290 is the trim sender cog. The trim should be hydraulic I’d think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think my sterndrive is actually a DP-A or something closer to that. I did manage to fix the problem, I had an issue with the limit switch which was easily remedied (bonehead on my part, haha).

Any ideas of a good place to look online which can tell me in based on serial # for an 1986 sterndrive?

you have a 280 based on the tilt mechanism, the 290's had hydraulic cylinders

the DP-A came out in 1989 and was the 290DP with a few changes.