1985 XD 18 trim pin question

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone,

I've got a 1985 XD 18 and I've got a question for you. In forward, my engine works as designed. Put it in reverse and the motor attempts to lift out of the water. When i looked at the trim pin, there is a bracket portion with holes that the pin goes through. all that is great. On the motor portion, there is no hole. I would have imagined that you need a hole in the motor and you thread the pin through the bracket, motor and out the other side of the bracket. I looked at the motor where it rests on the pin to see if perhaps the motor had broken that hole that I thought should be there. It didn't appear to have ever had a hole. Perhaps it did and someone smoothed it up, but it looks pretty factory to me. Can anyone verify what keeps the motor from pulling itself out of the water in reverse?

Next, on the bracket portion of my motor, I have a large gauge aluminum "wire". It's a solid piece of aluminum that is about half the thickness of a pencil. It looks like it was designed to be on the motor, but I can't figure out what the heck it's supposed to do. It looks a little bent, but what should it be connected to? Sorry about no pictures, but I'm posting from work. :)

Mark