1985 Wellcraft 250 Sportsman

204Angler

Seaman
Am considering a trade with a gentleman for my 20' angler cc. Anyone have a Wellcraft? Likes and dislikes? Thanks Oh and I also posted this in the motors topic but it has an OMC seadrive. I have heard to stay away from them but can't get specifics on why. I can get around some things but if they are built like a force then that is another story. Thanks again! Merry CHRISTmas

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Wellcraft 250 Sportsman

SeaDrives are a standard OMC (V4 I think) powerhead so parts are not a problem there but if you ever need anything related to the brackets (probably including the tilt/trim mechanism) you're going to have a problem.

204Angler

Seaman

Yeah and this one is a 225 (V6) but yeah it does have that tilt/trim intregal with the bracket. I could see that being an issue (if it ever breaks). I am not too worried about stuff like that. I just need to know that OMC builds an engine that isn't going to blow on me 50 miles out. I guess any outboard could but...are these dependable? As in, "not-a-force" dependable? Thank you for the reply ez

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

At last a question that is right up my alley - - - hoorayyyy!!!

I have a 23' 1988 Wellcraft Fisherman model. It is the center console model. I have a pair of OMC 1.6L 1987 110 hp SeaDrives on it. I have had this rig for 15 years. We use it in and around Biscayne Bay and the Florida Keys. By far this is the best boat I have had in close to 40 years of boating. The boat is overbuilt if anything. It is therefore heavy but has the smoothest ride of any rig that I've been in of this size. I did have to replace the transom about 10 years ago due to rot. I had the shop use Coosa (a fiberglass composit used on race boats) instead of plywood for the transom core.

Both of my engines have been rebuilt. The powerheads are pretty much the same as the regular OMC outboards. I have had zero problems with the SeaDrive units however I do understand that parts are getting hard to come by should you need them. Outside of the parts issue the other limitation is that you cannot raise or lower your engines without drilling new holes in the transom. I would like to repower but not because my engines are SeaDrives. I would go with a 225 Vtec however the cost is more than I want to spend - - If new and including the bracket, controls, rigging etc. I would be looking at $20k. I will continue to run my 22 year old SeaDrives thank you very much!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/Solittle/DSCF00081.jpg

DSCF00041.jpg

Oh and I did repaint the engines about 7 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: